1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which EDEN Amp/Cab to choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sexy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sexy

Sexy

Jul 13, 2012
    Budapest / Hungary
    Endorsing Artist: Music Man Basses, Eden/Marshall Amps, Elixir Strings
    Hey guys,

i'm new at Talkbass, but i have a question, and i'm really curious about your opinions.
    i'm just get the Eden endorsement and i have to choose amp and cabs

They ordered 5 cabs for me, 410XLT, 410XST, 210XLT, 210XST and 212XST

So, about cabs: i can try every possible combination, but i think i want 4x10 cab plus a smaller or a bigger cab that goes lower than 4x10. it can be a good configuration? 410+210 or 410+212
    What's the difference between XST and XLT cabs? i've seen that there is more power handling in the XST series and maybe goes lower.

And what do you think WT800 contra WT550? 800 worth nearly twice the price?

I'm playing in a loud rockband, some kind of dirty rock (ac/dc - texas hippie coalition taste).

There is a photo when i first met Eden:

WT800 and 410XLT on a music fair

[​IMG]

It was sounded big and fat, i liked it!

So, thank you for your answers!

Cheers!

2. The XST series is voiced to go deeper whereas the XLT's are a little more aggressive.

For Rock I'd think a pair of 410XLT4's and a WT800 would fit the bill perfectly. It's heavy equipment but sounds great.

3. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    A lot of folks enjoy the XSTs paired with XLTs, a 410 or 210 of each is fairly common. XSTs have less of the mid hump, and have better lows and highs. Their XLTs have the signature "Eden" midrange bump, with more subdued highs and lows.

Their 810 is a 410XST combined with a 410XLT more or less, so that might be a good call, or a pair of 410s or 210s.

In terms of the WT-550 vs the WT-800 I have both and I can tell you the following about each:

WT-800 has substantially more headroom when bridged, or when you use one amp per cab, than a comparitive WT-550. e.g. you get 440 per side into a 4 ohm load from the WT-800, you get 750 into a combined 2 ohm of the same, from the WT-550.

To my ears the WT-550 tends to be more hi-fi with the EQ set flat, with less low end. It's a brighter sounding amp overall. It can get the same deep lows, but it requires more EQ work.

Alternatively my WT-800 tends to need some treble, on the same speaker rig, for the high end to sound "right" to my ears. It, to my ears, is heavier and darker sounding overall.

They're voiced similarly, but definitely not the same, so if you have to pick just one (I own both ATM) I'd say try them and pick the one you prefer and/or needs the least EQing to get "your" sound.

In some ways it almost seems like the WT-800 was voiced to sound more tube amp-y. As it was one of their earlier designs it would make sense, since IIRC hybrid and SS amp adoption rates, when this was designed, weren't terribly high.

As the WT-550 was built years later it sounds less like they're trying to imitate a tube sound; hence the more hi-fi trebly kind of tone.

4. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    I use a WT550 running into an 8ohm D210XST. I absolutely love this rig. I have never had to turn it up past 5 to shake stuff off of the walls. I would love to add a 4 ohm D410XST to take advantage of the WT550's 2 ohm capabilities, but I do not play in a band so that much power is far from necessary. If/when it becomes necessary I will probably add it. Who knows if I will be able to afford the noise violations that may come with it though. :)

5. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Ran a 210xst w/ a 210xlt, and wt800. One of my favorite rigs ever. Between the 2 I liked the xst better, but when paired up it was killer.

6. Sexy

Sexy

Jul 13, 2012
    Budapest / Hungary
    Endorsing Artist: Music Man Basses, Eden/Marshall Amps, Elixir Strings
    Thank you for your answer guys!

I will choose the WT800, now i'm sure about it! :)

About the cabs: I think the XLT is a better choice for me.

And what do you think about the 212 cab? Nobody used or tried it?

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    IMO, you can't go wrong with the 800/410XLT combination. The 800 is a great sounding head, lots of power, clean but with just the right amount of warmth. The 410XLT is a LOUD cabinet. It has the signature Eden low mid push, as tbz mentioned above but those cabs also throw a lot of sound out front. You may have the FOH soundman tell you to turn down when using that combo!

8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a 410xlt and think it's great.

9. I've played through 800's with a 410XLT many many times in supplied backline situations. Tour proven, reliable, great sounding rig for rock.

10. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I've always been a 410 guy but I recently tried a 212 and it has enough punch and lows. The weight would be less and any volume issues would be minimal. I would try the 212 and see how you like it. If you have somebody to schlep your equipment around then the 410 is awesome but if you have to carry it around yourself I would consider the 212. YMMV

11. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have owned a lot of Eden gear in the past including the 212 xlt. The 410xlt wins hands down. That is the best cab Eden makes IMO. The thing is it sounds kind of bad when I played it by myself at home but in a live band situation it will really cut through the mix. I would get the Wt-800 and one 410 xlt.

12. jmcorn

jmcorn

Jul 4, 2012
    South Carolina
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    The 2 410s would work well. I use a 810XLT at my church. I also have a 410 XST which is more portable. Both sound amazing. I also have a WT 800 pushing the 810 and WT 500 pushing the 410.