Which edition of Cakewalk should I buy???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Machaut, Oct 8, 2003.

1. I need software mostly for songwriting. I plan on hooking up a midi keyboard to my computer. Finale is too expensive initally so I am looking at Cakewalk.

Any songwriters out there have experience with this software?
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno get sonor XL 2.0 if u want a great recording program. I love cakewalk, Probably more than pro tool so far. If you have any specific questions on the program PM me i use it alot.
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Sonar 2.0 from cakewalk. It will take a while to learn it. Trial & error makes for a fustrating time! But a necessary evil. Other programs like Cubase are harder to use. Hope you have some money to spend they're not cheap! Or have "Other ways" of getting them!

Check here
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got "Guitar Tracks" free with my J Station... it's ok, but real limited.
    I bought Sonar XL once I desided I liked the layout of Cakewalk... but my current machine is too slow to handle it with more then 5 tracks over 4 minutes long. :(

I snagged a copy of CakeWalk Pro 9 from a friend that ditched Windows HD recording for a ripping Mac setup and all is good.

I record midi drums in Sonar XL and export them to Wav files... import to CW9 and do my analog recording. Now I need a real Sound card :eek:
  5. I have Sonar 2.0 XL and it works great. The MIDI works like a charm and interfaces well with the Aardvark cards and the control surface I have. Then again, Sonar 3 is coming out rather soon.
  6. Eh... this guy's looking for notation software like finale, sebalius, etc right? Isn't cakewalk studio software?
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cakewalk does both, though I admit I've not hooked my midi keyboard to it... I've only used the internal midi drums.
  8. Get Kazaa..... log on and download Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 for free... sheesh.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Isn't Sonar 3 out already?

You can also take a look at Cubasis
  10. My experience of using Cakewalk as a score editting tool is limited (Sonar 1.3), but it doesn't have the breadth of score marking tools as something like Finale or Sibelius. You can get basic scores out and specify things like clefs, time sigs, key sigs - all the basic. But adding classical expression marks, slurs, choosing which way the tails (?) go on eighths is beyond its scope.

It does however allow you to score out TAB (Evil!) and to have lyric and chord charts including box chords. You even get to choose which chord shape you want. i.e. if you choose a C chord then you get to choose which form/shape.

However Sonar is a neat tool for composing MIDI tracks which you could then export to a lower version of Finale to add expressions etc. I think the MIDI implementation in Cakewalk would be easier to work with, and the CAL tools for manipulating MIDI are very handy. These are programmed functions which allow you to merge tracks, split tracks by note ranges, select and change velocities etc.