Which effect do you use most often?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5156246, Sep 8, 2000.

1. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    For me it's chorus. But only quite decent, and even this effect I take rarely, mostly combined with slapping or chording.

Produces a singing sound.:D

Ok, but most of all I like my clean bass sound most.;)

2. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    hmmmm... try an envelope filter. like a wah that works on its own. funky. silly. like shaft.... ahhhhh
  3. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
  4. rabidcow

Sep 9, 2000
    i use my distortion, an eh big muff. can get all sorts of sounds with it, beautiful pedal
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A good (rackmount) compressor and a BBE Sonic Maximizer - don't leave home without it! :)
  6. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I love my EH big muff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    For me, its easely my 4 Boss SYB-3 Bass Synths. I love'em.

This may sound a little dumb, but what kind of sound does a compressor give to your bass? I've never used one.
  8. Me, its my Tech 21 bass di box. its not really an effect more of a tone shaping tool and thats it.

a compressor doesnt add any "effect" to alter the tone of the bass. It pretty much "evens" out the sound coming from the strings... Imagin that your G string always sounds softer, and your E string is very very loud. a compressor would even out that, so your E would be even with the G. If this confused you, let somone else explain.
  9. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Orgy Fan,

A Bass Compressor would give you some interesting characteristics going into (one of your four) Bass Synth pedals. I use a compressor after a bass fuzz and an EBS BassIQ (envelope) - the result is that the filter opens to allow the screaming high volume fuzz through, but then the compressor caps it off, creating a very synth like tone.

Add a chorus or modulation after it and you've got a progressive rock/Van Halen "1984" type of swishiness.

EBS makes a great compressor pedal called the MultiComp, and I use the Carl Martin compressor limiter, which is a phenomenal pedal-based compressor rivlaing most rackmounts I've heard in even double the price range.

Hope this helps,

10. Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    hmm... sounds cool, i'll have to try one out.
  11. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Most often?

That's tough, I use them all so often! I guess compression is the effect I use most often only because I always leave a little compression in my signal chain.