Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which effect do you use most often?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5156246, Sep 8, 2000.

1. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    For me it's chorus. But only quite decent, and even this effect I take rarely, mostly combined with slapping or chording.

Produces a singing sound.:D

Ok, but most of all I like my clean bass sound most.;)

Dominik

2. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    hmmmm... try an envelope filter. like a wah that works on its own. funky. silly. like shaft.... ahhhhh

3. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Canyadiggit??????

4. rabidcow

rabidcow

Sep 9, 2000
    i use my distortion, an eh big muff. can get all sorts of sounds with it, beautiful pedal

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A good (rackmount) compressor and a BBE Sonic Maximizer - don't leave home without it! :)

6. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I love my EH big muff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Orgy_Fan

Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    For me, its easely my 4 Boss SYB-3 Bass Synths. I love'em.

This may sound a little dumb, but what kind of sound does a compressor give to your bass? I've never used one.

8. Me, its my Tech 21 bass di box. its not really an effect more of a tone shaping tool and thats it.

a compressor doesnt add any "effect" to alter the tone of the bass. It pretty much "evens" out the sound coming from the strings... Imagin that your G string always sounds softer, and your E string is very very loud. a compressor would even out that, so your E would be even with the G. If this confused you, let somone else explain.

9. puppeteering

puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Orgy Fan,

A Bass Compressor would give you some interesting characteristics going into (one of your four) Bass Synth pedals. I use a compressor after a bass fuzz and an EBS BassIQ (envelope) - the result is that the filter opens to allow the screaming high volume fuzz through, but then the compressor caps it off, creating a very synth like tone.

Add a chorus or modulation after it and you've got a progressive rock/Van Halen "1984" type of swishiness.

EBS makes a great compressor pedal called the MultiComp, and I use the Carl Martin compressor limiter, which is a phenomenal pedal-based compressor rivlaing most rackmounts I've heard in even double the price range.

Hope this helps,

AZ

10. Orgy_Fan

Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    hmm... sounds cool, i'll have to try one out.

11. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Most often?

That's tough, I use them all so often! I guess compression is the effect I use most often only because I always leave a little compression in my signal chain.

-geo?