Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which effect should I get first?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hi guys. Im looking to get my first effect pedal and Im wondering which one I is more "appropriate" or "advisable" for me to get first...

The Yamaha NE1 Parametic Equalizer

or

The Boss CE-2B Chorus Pedal

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both are good pedals, they're completely different in purposes.
    It really depends on what you need.
    Can't help you much.

3. I'd say the equalizer. Probably the most important effect (except for distortion maybe :D ).
    Espesially as a first effect pedal. You can use it to create any sound suitable for any style.
    What style do you play ?

I'm not to fond of chorusses. You'd better have a good clean straight forward sound.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey dude thanks...hey guess what I had a RBX370A too! :p

Anyways..between an equalizer and a odb-3...which one should I get if I want a deep growly(not TOO much) tone.

ChEeRs!

5. Good choice of bass. ;)

There's another thread going where my idea of using a ODB-3 for growl got flamed on. It really hurt my feelings. :rolleyes: :p

But I don't like the ODB-3, not as distortion or as booster (or as eq perhaps). But maybe it depends on the gear you have, cause I heard good critics on this pedal too, and it's a BOSS.

Your choice between an equalizer and a distortion pedal depends on your needs on distortion. I myself (tend) to play metal, but most of the time I don't use distortion. So in my case I wouldn't have added something to improve my clean sound wich I use for about 80 % of the time.
    If you use it a lot (play heavy music ?) then it would be more suitable.
    Best advice is to get both pedals.

For equalizer; try the BOSS GEB-7. Not that that Yamaha is a poor choice, but consider this one too.
    Search around for some 7-band eq-settings, take them to a music store, and try them out. Perhaps a salesman can give you very good examples too.

6. So we still do not know your style of music or what type of EQ may be on-board your amp. I shall assume that you're in the rawk end of things if you consider distortion as your first effect. It was mine too; an MXR distortion+....but I also had a then-new, now-vintage DOD 2-speed Chorus purchased at the same time. As you progress as a bassist, distortion may lessen in its importance to you, depending on style. My advice: get the Boss BF-3, which gives chorus and flanger sounds, has a bass-specific input, and can be had for a c-note new if you watch the sales. This is based on the assumption that distortion is obtainable via your amp. If you are that passionate about distortion and don't have the ability to get it via your amp, I would advise you to consider trading your existing amp in along with the cash you may have ready for an effect for an amp that will give you the ability to add or attain a distorted sound. Remember that not all amps that can give distortion need to have a tube in them. My Ampeg B5R is all solid state and can grind with the best of 'em.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Actually I'm not a big fan of distortion..I like my bass to sound "simplish"..I have achieved that with a Jazz bass but I've realized that its lacking something...I want a deep sound with a bit of growl..I dont play metal..the type of music I play is punk..I figured the ODB3 would give my bass more growl..but Im not quite sure as Im new to effects on basses...could you please advice?

Cheers!

8. That Boss BF-3 is a good first effect for a fusion bassist I think.

Say Cone41, have you considered a Tremelo, gives a nice deep ratlling sound.

9. freigeistler

freigeistler

Sep 1, 2002
    The ODB3 definitly doesn't give your bass more growl: the ODB3 is some sort of fuzz pedal...it turns your bass into a damn chainsaw...so if you want growl: use a tube preamp.
    The EBS MultiComp (black label series) might be an affordable option: it provides cool tube compression.