1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Effect should I put INSIDE my bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by snogaws, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Envelope Filter

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Pitch Shift

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Delay

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Phaser

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Reverb

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Octave

45 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I'm building a bass and am going to put one effect in the circuitry of it, so it can be controlled by knobs and switches on the bass's body. Which type of effect should it be, though?

2. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Artist for: Nick Silver Pickups, Free The Tone Effects, Carr Amplifiers, PG Music BIAB, Ethos OD +
    Depends on you. If I could only have one...it might be a compressor. An orange squeeze type. Otherwise chorus. Everything else is far too specific to commit to a bass as a permanent mod IMO.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I vote delay. Octave and chorus are covered by 8 or 12 stringers, but delay is something you can't get with any bass and it's an effect you typically leave on or off for a good while.

4. I almost said distortion, but now that I've kind of thought it through, I'd probably have to vote delay as well. Very useful effect!

5. Ooo tremelo with a speed control! Then an envelope filer after it. Sounds like fun to me.

6. I said Pitch shift because you could really trip people out with that in your bass.

7. Are you going to use any other effects after it? Because the order of effects matters. If you're going to have any sort of overdrive or fuzz pedals after your bass, then the only ones that I would go with would be pitch shifter / octaver. Everything else I would want after any overdrive or fuzz pedals you might have.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

If you build it into your bass, it's going to be the one effect you always have with you. So what's the one effect you always want with you? For me, it would be a compressor, but that's not on your poll. My favorite effect on your poll is envelope filter, so that gets my vote. Just remember that whatever you build into your bass, it will always be the first effect in your signal chain, so I'd factor that into my decision too.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Octaver makes the most sense to me. I would put it in the front of my signal chain for the most clarity, so that's why I chose it to go in the bass.

10. My main interest in this topic is that it's something I've considered. I remember hearing rumors of bootsy having a bass with a qtron built in and seeing a guitar with a drum machine built in before. IMO it's unlikely that anyone here is going to be happy with just one effect. What happens when you get tired of that one sound? Also I'd consider the quality of the circuit... Which compressor/octaver/etc?

I voted for an envelope filter, I still know if it was me it would totally be tremelo. I love that toggle switch cut off sound on guitar and think it would have far more applications than a pedal.

11. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I voted octave because it is the simplest of the choices. YOu don't want too much going on in there. I love the Idea though. I always thought a 2 knob compressor or a one knob distortion would be the best things to place in the bass.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    I vote "none". I wouldn't want to commit to a particular effect let alone the added weight. Of course, that's just me. If you have to put an effect in the bass I'd do a filter or some kind of drive like Owen Biddle put a tube screamer in his signature bass.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Which Effect should I put INSIDE my bass?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about a 4 band Audere preamp.

14. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed

Jun 5, 2006
    +1

15. Boost

16. Compression

17. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I know it's not on your list, but I would go with a VTbass complete with a blend knob and a DI output. That way if you play a gig on a super tight stage you can go right to the board with one cord. If you have a nice amp you can go with the dry signal, crappy amp ........... Crank in some VTBass.

18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I vote for a Boss OC-2 with synth mod: its always had been and always will be up front anyways!

19. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    I have a tuner and a mute button on my ABG.
    I would put that before any other effect if I was considering that kind of project.

20. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    This is a good choice!