1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MJChappers, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MJChappers

MJChappers

Dec 3, 2011
    Wales
    Hey all! I'm very new when it comes to effects, I've been practising using one of a few effects apps (namely JamUp XT) on my phone just to get my head around all of the many effects out there.

I know a lot of the time it depends on a certain sound or just experimentation that influenced the effects you use. I'm just curious what everyone on here started with regarding pedals and could you give me an idea of where to start?

Any suggestions and info would be amazing!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What effects do you like so far?

I'd say most probably start with dirt pedals, but there are tons of different flavored to choose from.

3. MJChappers

MJChappers

Dec 3, 2011
    Wales
    I think that's what I found so daunting yet exciting when I started to explore them, there are just so many!

I've been playing around with the basics like compression, overdrive and chorus but I'll have to admit I'm so new to all of it that as much as I know the difference I don't know how to fully utilise them. All fun and part of the experience I guess.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ring modulators. At least three.

;)

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I would start with a good dirt, a fuzz dist or OD pedal. Then maybe a nice chorus or flanger. Then a filter, like a wah or envelope. May I suggest looking into Source Audio. TONS of options in one little pedal. The SoundBlox2 series rocks and they are releasing a new Series One soon. I sugggest starting with the OFD (dirt), Orbital (modulation) and Manta (filter and some fuzz).

If not SA, then maybe check out Zoom. They have the B3 and MS60B. Both have a multitude of effect and for $100 on the 60b, they are pretty friggen good sounding. The B1Xon is great too, even cheaper.

aetheriac likes this.
  6. MJChappers

MJChappers

Dec 3, 2011
    Wales
    I just saw a couple of demo videos of a bass through a Moogerfooger, that's such a crazy sound!

HolmeBass likes this.
  7. MJChappers

MJChappers

Dec 3, 2011
    Wales
    Awesome advice cheers! Much food for thought. I only seem to know or have limited experience with Roland and Boss stuff up til now. I'm aware of but not too familiar with Zoom products other than samplers.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The last 5 years or so has seen a great number of multi-effects units come out that actually dont suck. I hear the Boss and DigiTech ones are also pretty decent. But I have a couple of the Zoom units so I always recommend them to guys wanting to get familiar with more effects but dont want to invest all that much right away. So the Zoom stuff really is ideal in those areas. They are not as good as single stomp boxes IMO, but they sound pretty good for what youre paying for/getting. I like to use them at home. The MS60B is on main board right now though for octave duties. It really is a great pedal IMO.

SteveCS and aetheriac like this.
  9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    What kind of music do you play?

I think overdrive is a useful effect in almost any genre but I'd suggest very different OD pedal depending on if you play metal, funk, blues, pop, electronica, even reggae.

And depending on genre(s) and style there are other specific things I tend to use.

If you want a rundown of what different effects do we can do that for you too.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  10. Yah, whut kint off muziek youarte playin'?

Followin' in Pino's footsteps or ???

As mentioned, OD can be used in about any genre, so can another oft overlooked sonic enhancer:

I'll suggest a good EQ pedal, then you can change up the sound of your bass without pushing yourself louder in the mix (unless that's what you want, and assuming you're playing with other people). Empress makes a good EQ pedal with boost!

'Course, EQ isn't the sexiest effect out there...

Phor Phun — Phlanger!

11. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

First off buy a cheap multi fx, so you can play around with them all and decide which ones you want to buy individually.

A good compressor is probably the first one to get as you'll always use it regardless of music styles you play. Something like the MXR M87 is great for newbies to compressors with it's ten LEDs helping to see what is going on.

Then you'd want an OD, a chorus, or maybe a phaser, like the Phase 90, a classic sound and easy to use one knob goodness :)

SteveCS, gsquare, srcTW and 2 others like this.
  12. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    I find myself using envelope filter, reverb and chorus the most. And there are a ton of options when it comes to choosing brands. IME MXR has proven its legit.

13. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a microtube for dirt sound and a multi effect (zoom ms60) for everything else: chorus, flanger, delay, compressor. The next pedal will be a fuzz.

14. I'd start with an Envelope Filter too. The MXR one is pretty cool, stay away from the Boss AW-3 and the Haz version of the MuTron III+ in my opinion. The 3Leaf Proton is pretty key, the new one from Keeley might be really hot. A lot of people seem to like the Pigtronics Envelope Phaser, I did not get along with it. The Source Audio Manta is really good for not that much money. The Aguilar Filter Twin is also a good mass market envelope filter.

RiZzBot likes this.
  15. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    My MXR envelope filter and Mooer ninety orange pair pretty well IMO.

16. I started with a distortion pedal. The MXR M80. It does that and a whole lot more. I then got an octave pedal in an effort to fill more sonic space. I have since sold that as it became unnecessary and sounded a little artificial. So, right now just distortion....and a tuner. Just my opinion, but I think most people expect to hear a clean bass sound with a solid foundation. A good friend of mine said he was playing in a tight space one time and didn't have room for his pedal board (lots of effects) so he played clean. No one noticed.

RiZzBot likes this.
  17. infraviolet

infraviolet

May 2, 2014
    Illinois
    I started with a Zoom G1u. Currently I use a Zoom MS60b into a Digitech GSP21 Pro with an MXR Analog Chorus between them if it's necessary. Personally I'd say start with a multi effect pedal like the MS60b or the B3. Tons of effects at your disposal for less cash than one good effect. The B3 is more expensive and has one less slot than the MS60b, but it has individual screens and controls for each of the 3 slots. If you don't change effects much go with the MS60b. A few more effects and an extra slot go a long way. I might pick up a B3 for a few more effects and to replace my GSP21. The whole rack thing looks cool but damn is it heavy.

18. +1 to Zoom effects. It's all I'm using on stage right now, but I'm not delving too far into crazy town with my tones. I'm mostly using amp models (flip top for base tone and SVT for some bass boosting overdrive) and compression for my entire set.

One thing to remember about multis; if you kind of like an effect on a multi, chances are there's a dedicated version somewhere that will knock your socks off.

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It all depends on what you are doing. I'm old and don't get out much these days, so I like a little reverb to make my bedroom sound bigger. If I were in a band reverb would probably not be appropriate (in most genres).

I'd suggest striving toward a certain amount of minimalism in your pedalboard. (flame suit on) Only use those effect pedals that you REALLY need to have in your sound. When it comes time to troubleshoot why something ain't sounding right you will know why.

As has been said... a good multifx is the BEST starting point. to get you familiar with everything.

Compressors are not always a good thing for every player. Much depends on your playing consistency and your rig.

Distortion/dirt/fuzz pedals are good for a wide variety of sounds. very useful

Combining that with a wah and an octave can get you into some synthy sounds also useful for many things.

Delays, phasers and other time based effects can also be useful in the right circumstances.

But if you find yourself needing more than a few of those I'd steer you back to a good multifx and only those pedals that get you sounds that it cannot do to your satisfaction. Probably your dirt pedal, wah or octaver. Multifx are sometimes weak on those but just fine in the time based family of effects.

But like i said. It all depends and in the end, you have to please yourself, not me. Some guys just got to have the giant pedalboard from hell.

Also, I rather like the itty bitty pedals that have come out in recent years like Mooer. Take it from an old fart... Small and light weight is the way to go when possible. Sometimes I don't use any effects at all if I can get away with it. And there's nothing wrong with that. It just depends on what you are playing and what you need it to sound like.

gregmon79 and gsquare like this.
  20. +1 on a Zoom mulieffect unit, good examples of most effects types, will fulfill many of your future needs and will point directions to explore, improve and expand.

MojoPenguin likes this.