1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which EMGs are warmer and have that classic sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Oct 3, 2009.

1. I'm deciding which EMG pickups I am going to install in my Spector Legend 6 string. Currently I'm deciding between the EMG combination of the 45P and 45J against the a 45 CS in both the neck and bridge positions. I am looking for that EMG sound but warmer than the DCs with the ability to emulated more classic bass sounds but in a hifi way. Any recommendations on warmth, versatility and the classic bass sounds with these pickups? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. I have the EMG 40J's in my Valenti jazz bass and, paired with the Aguilar preamp, I can get plenty of warmth out of them. They're not warm like Bartolini quad coils or Lane Poor humbuckers. They're a different kind of warmth, but when EQ'ed correctly they can be quite warm sounding. This is, of course, depending also on your amp and what type of strings you're using as well, since both play a part in overall tone.

3. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    The 45TW is excellent. It's a J and a CS in one. You switch between them with a dpdt switch. The TW in the bridge position with a P at the neck is a good combo.