which envelope filter is for me?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, May 29, 2005.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    my mutron III was stolen last week :mad: !!!!!

i need to replace it with something soon, but i can't find any mutrons within my budget (300-350). it was the perfect filter sound for me i loved it. is there another kind on the market that comes close to that sound??? my favorite filter sound was flea's on sir psycho sexy on the bssm album....very greasy and ballsy.

2. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I've heard that the Ibanez AF9 and AF201 are clones of (or at least, very similar to) the Mutron III.

Check your PMs.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Maxon AF-9 reissue does come close, but it has a rather annoying volume jump.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not identical to the sound of a Mu-Tron III but I always like Electro Harmonix' Doctor Q and Bassballs. Actually, my favorite envelope filter was EH's Zipper, but they haven't reissued it yet and mine got stolen years ago.
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Pigtronix fits your budget :)
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yes. The old EH Zipper is probably the rarest envelope filter on the earth. I couldn't imagine there being more than a few hundred left in working condition. I picked one up on ebay a few months ago for $200 :eek: With my filter addiction, I just couldn't pass it up. I hope they never reissue it.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Q-tron is the closest i can think of. Pretty much a twin brother actually.
    then you have the line6 FM4 that comes with an excellent Mu-Tron modelization.
  8. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    go the bassballs
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    How good is the MM4 ?
  10. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Q-Tron is basically the Mu-Tron in a new box. Desgined by the guy of the original Mu-Tron himself. I have one, and its great.
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    However, i was vastly unimpressed with the Q-tron, and the Q-tron +, when compared to the Xotic Robotalk.
  12. Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Well, Flea uses a DOD envelope filter, one of the older ones. I have the DODfx25b, got it for only about 40$, and it's great. You can pick one of the older ones up off ebay fairly easily, and cheaply. The older ones just lack a range control, I believe. You'll get nearly the same effect. Good luck with the decision.