Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Epifani UL to match with TF for small-medium gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I am looking to put together a lighter rig for small-medium size gigs and practice (which seems to always be louder than our gigs). I know that I am going to get the ThunderFunk 550, and I want to get an Epifani UL cab to match it. Should I go with the 112, 210, or 310. If I can get through small to medium size gigs with the 112 I would be ecstatic, but I don’t know if that is going to push enough air to be heard over a very hard pounding drummer and an almost deaf guitar player.

Your thoughts please………

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Kjung is the expert on this combo, but to me the 310UL makes the most sense. It is about the same size as a 210 (its actually smaller than the Eden 210XLT I used to own), and its just stupid light. It only costs a bit more than the 210UL and is a small bit larger. Still small enough to easily fit in the backseat of a sedan, or comfortably in the trunk. And you'd be able to cover alot more gigs because of the added volume and punch. (Esp. with a loud drummer & guitar player.)

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd go with the 3x10 too. It's amazingly light considering it's size. It runs at 5.3 ohm, which means you'll be closer to running the TFB at full power. It sounds deeper than the 210, yet retains the punch of the 210. Actually, now that I think of it, the 310 is actually punchier and deeper.
    It's a little bit taller than the 210. For size comparisons, it's about the same size as the 115.

The UL-310 is prolly my favorite Epifani cab, and considering it's practical size and weight combined with an awesome tone, it's hard to go wrong with one.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    +1

If it weren't for the super loud people you're playing with i'd suggest the 112 cause i really like that cab a lot, but it seems like you'll need the extra punch and volume...and even if you don't most of the time, you'll still have it just in case. :)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

but why not go whole hog and get the UL410? its a monstrosity.

6. I forgot that the 310 has that different Ohm set up. That bothers me a little because I am hoping to get the most bang at the lightest weight. Do think that the ear would perceive the 310 louder than the 210 or 115 at 4 ohm, even though it is not drawing the TFs full power?

Thanks for the responses.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The diffference between using the Thunderfunk at 5.3 ohms vs. 4 ohms would be extremely minimal.

8. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Maybe in size, but not in weight. If I were to ever use a 4x10 cab again it would be this one. It's crazy light!

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I think the 310 would be louder since there is more speaker surface than the 210 or 115.

10. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I've had em all, I had the 310 and alone it didn't cut it with our band, we get loud, the drummer can hit and kick, the guitarist are harder of hearing than I am. :smug:
    The 112 is great, I use it for small venues but would recomment another one for anything larger, particularly if your band can get loud. That's why I have the 410UL, if you get the 310UL, why not go a little further and get the 410UL and never worry about not being able to cover a gig. If you go with the 112, I'd recommend getting another one, two 112's would be plenty. (I'm getting another 112 so I'll have two, I like the sound of 12's but sometimes I prefer the 10's. I had a T212 and sold it recently, too heavy. I use to use a 210 and a 115 together but those two cabs took up too much space in my car. So when Nick came out the 410UL, all problems solved. I use a WWU or a 502UL with my Epi's.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting the UL410, but then realized the UL310 is that much easier to fit in the trunk of a cab. ;)

12. Hello guys! I'm on the road and just checking in!
    \
    +1 to all of the above comments... for small to medium and even some large gigs, IMO, the 310Ul is the way to go...small enough to fit in the back seat, you can lift it with one hand, and not that much larger or more expensive than the 210UL.
    And... a PERFECT match for the TF. Of course, the 410UL is the total bomb, but it is quite a bit larger and you will only notice the difference between the 310 and 410 on the largest and loudest gigs.

Edit: also +1 to Mac's comment.... the 410Ul will cover ANY gig... however, given that you mentioned small to medium gigs, the 310UL is just about perfect IMO. You will run out of volume on very large, loud gigs, but it will cover any moderate volume gig you can think of.

13. TF550 is still plenty for 410 too... correct. Or is WWU better?

14. Tf all the way! As we've been discussing though our PM's... I pretty much leave the Walter at home now with the 410UL... The Walter sounds great, but I like that slightly fatter and punchier low end from the TF.