Which Essex bass to buy:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jblaven, Jan 3, 2003.

1. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    OK I am sold on the brand after reading 19 pages of the Mega Essex thread.

I am new to the Bass. I got a Tacoma CB-10 Thundercheif acoustic at everyones collective advice. Good call there.:p

Now, if you were going to buy an Essex which one would you buy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I want the best all around bass that Essex makes.

2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I really like the SJB62 one.. But hey, "Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone's got one" :)

Good luck!

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You read the entire megathread?! I read like five pages before I just bought one of the darn things...no way I could make it through the entire thread. But enough about me and my a.d.d...I got my kid a short scale and essex and was happy with the fret work on the maple board - I read there was a problem with the frets on the rosewood boards. You might want to consider one with a maple neck, unless you want to take on the fret filing project. Maybe the P clone, the "BG80" I hear it thumps almost like a P and it's got the maple board...but the sunburst J clone IS so darn pretty...tell us what you decide to go with.
  4. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    :D Yeah, I really like that one too. Do you think the "gold" would rub off?
  5. BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    It's basically the same as choosing between a P or J bass. Of course either one will work for most styles and you are new and learning the mechanics at this point the advantages of one over the other is not too significant. My advice is to get the one that first hit you. I assume you had a gut feeling about one, go for it. BTW I prefer Jazz necks because of relatively short stubby fingers. Over time you will learn what works for you. For now either Essex will be a good choice to learn, practice, and play on. Be one with the Groove!!!
  6. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002