Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lunchbox5424, Dec 23, 2003.

1. lunchbox5424

lunchbox5424

Dec 22, 2003
    Ut
    I am going to buy an Essex for my first bass. I'm still learning all the terms so I honestly dont know one bass from another. I need help choosing one. I want to play in more of a metal/ fieldyish style. So which one would be good for me?

2. You'll probably want a jazz bass simply because a P bass will be lost in any amount of distorted guitars.

3. lunchbox5424

lunchbox5424

Dec 22, 2003
    Ut
    And for those who are wondering, yes I did do a search & even read a decent portion of the essex mega thread. I just got clusterf**ked trying to figure out which bass was for what.:)

4. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I just got my Essex Jazz. I did all the reading and decided that the Jazz seemed to be better as a general starter bass. I'm very pleased with mine - it looks and feels great, and it's a lot better bass than I am a player.

5. A Jazz bass is a good choice, IMHO, for this kind of music, but someone else mentioned a P bass being lost with the guitars, maybe you might want a P bass, they have more bottom end than a Jazz Bass.

Go here

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/category.html?UCIDs=940496

You can see the various Jazz and P bass copies, each model has the year # next to it, this shows which year it is copying.

The basses with Gold hardware cost about $20.00 bucks more. As you can see, they have maple and rosewood boards, some people feel that Maple is brghter then Rosewood, you'll need to chose for yourself.

This is an Essex SJB-62 TM.
    [​IMG]

This is an SX SPB-62
    [​IMG]

Hope this is helpful. I'm sure there are many who will be willing to help you with specific questions.

If I can be of more help, please feel free to ask. I always enjoy helping a new bassist get started.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. lunchbox5424

lunchbox5424

Dec 22, 2003
    Ut
    Thanks for the info. At least now I know what most of those letter/# combo's mean.

What about this one?
    SXSB-301

I was really just looking at that one because I could get it all blacked out. But if the concensus was to stick with a jazz then

this one would probably be my choice.

Also I would probably want to move up to a 5-string at sometime. (From my first post I'm sure you figure out who inspired me. But thats for another time & date. :) ) So should I learn with a 4 then move to a 5? Or should I look at getting a 5 to begin with. I just thought a 5 would be alittle much for me just starting out.

Sorry for all the questions, but everyone has to start somewere.:bassist:

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Id go for the SXSB-301, puely because its a P/J configuartaion. (Has a jazz pickup and a p pickup) Itll be more versatile and you can choose which sound suits you better. With the p pickup on full and the jazz on 3/4 itll cut through guitars like butter. Hope this helps.

Jack

PS- Dont get the black, silver and white looks much better!!! :D

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    If you're ever gonna experiment with slapping, the 301 may not be for you. There isn't much clearance between the pickup and the base of the neck on that bass.

A good starter bass would be a Jazz Bass copy. It's a classic feel and is more versatile than some of the other quirkier basses out there.

9. I have never owned an Essex, but the general consensious here is that they are good inexpensive basses.

As far as your first choice, the SXSB-301 , it looks a lot like an RBX800A Yamaha bass that I own, same pickup configuration, but mine is active. I like the RBX800A, it’s versatile with both the P pup and the Jazz pup. You can get a great tone from these pickup configurations.

Your second choice, Essex SJB-62 TM, is a Standard Jazz Copy and many bassist prefer this bass as their # one axe. I own a couple of Vintage Jazz’s and I am very happy with my tones.

As far as starting on a 5 string, the learning curve is the same since you have not developed any bad habits as of yet.

I started on 4 strings and later played 5 strings. In the 80’s many studios’s asked for them, as of late, they are not a requirement. So, I feel this would have to be your choice and meet your musical wants/desires.

I would suggest getting yourself a good bass instructor as part of your learning process.

I’m sure others can help you with your choices, since many have purchased and now play these basses.

Looks like you have the choices under control though!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got the SJB-62TM and used it on the majority of my band's album. It cuts through guitars nicely, and with authority when I want it to.
    [​IMG]

11. The SXSB-301 is just scary to look at IMO.

As for the style, IMO a jazz would be good for the kind of music you want. I own an Essex BG205 (5 String) and I'd have to say that I like it better over my Ibanez GSR200. Good luck on which one you get!

Best Regards,
    The One And Only THole

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just remember, Steve Harris plays a P and you can hear quite well through 3 distorted guitars. Just something to consider.

Dan