1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which EUB to buy

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Stan Cummings, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Stan Cummings

Stan Cummings

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi I am looking to take up playing an upright bass I have been playing an electric bass guitar and wish to move up. My budget is very limited and am reluctant to buy second hand so have been looking at the following Stag 3/4eub, Rocket 3/4eub and Gear4Music 3/4eub I understand the last two are rebranded Stags. Any help will be appreciated
    Stan

2. Reluctant to buy second-hand?
    But that's probably the best way to get a nice bass over what you're looking at.

Jeshua likes this.
  3. Since you want an original Stagg or a rebranded one, I won't argue about the kind of EUB. You can read yourself and there have been a discussion about cheap EUBs not long ago that you should read.

I would recommend a Stagg with a rosewood fingerboard. Even though it is a bit more expensive it is better to play and better to service if there are bumps or the camber is too low. I have both, the epoxy covered cheap Stagg and the one with the rosewood fingerboard, so Iknow what I'm talking about.
    The body support is a bit wiggly and too low, but that's what it is. No easy to change unless you build something completely different and still not easy to mount without drilling through body and neck.

The cheapest useable solution is a cheap double bass and you learn the real thing. The Stagg as most other cheap EUBs is OK as a secondary upright if you don't use the bow too much, but to learn and for a nice sound a real upright (ply is OK) is a lot better than all cheaper EUBs you can find.

You also should know that setup on a EUB or upright is in many cases a work for a luthier, specially if you are not very experienced with uprights and their setup. So it will be more expensive than you think at the moment.

An instrument that has been played a lot has often a much better setup than a new one, and cheap EUBs often come with a poor setup. The shape of a Stagg bridge needs to be reshaped, since the E needs more space to the fingerboard than the higher strings, but the bridge us symmetrical. Adjusters need to be set to the same height or they will be stuck. So you need to put some wood away from the bridge crown of the higher strings which will remove the black epoxy and show the bare wood.
    Any cheap EUB needs some to some more modifications. Read the threads about the Stagg and the Palatino.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Francois Blais likes this.
  4. Stan Cummings

Stan Cummings

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks for your advice I bit the bullet and bought a Stagg black with the rosewood fingerboard now to get used to it after playing bass guitar,

Ductapeman likes this.
  5. D Garr

D Garr

Mar 26, 2012

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Clevenger EUB's frequently come up for sale used. You might want to consider that option.

Ric

7. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I'm guessing the OP lives in UK/Europe as he is familiar with the UK musical distributor Gear4music.

Ric, I looked for Clevenger EUBs and don't see a single one for sale in the UK.

8. I think it would be an exception to find a Clevinger in Europe. There are a few, but mine was from an US bassist who went to Europe for some time playing here and who didn't want to take it back to the US but sell it here via a friend of him after he was already gone.
    There are European makers for EUBs who share the market here which is much smaller than the US market and the big international players like Yamaha, Stagg, Palatino/Harley Benton. EUBs are not that popular over here, the double bassists prefer their doghouses and the electric players their bass guitars.

delta7fred likes this.