1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which extension cab for the Markbass CMD 102 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Standard 102F (front ported 210)

31.4%
  2. Standard 151F (front ported 115)

42.9%
  3. Standard 104F (front ported 410)

22.9%
  4. This 210 combo would be loud enough without an extension cab

22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I am thinking of upgrading to Markbass soon, and am wondering which extention cab would complement it best.:help:

2. I tried this out with the Standard 15 and it sounded just incredible.

At 300 watts its loud enough on it's won, but if you want even more volume (like I do) I'd get another cab with it. I'd get the 15 or the 210 to go with it.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    yeah....I'm torn between the 210 or the ported 115.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yep, definitely true for most small gigs. For bigger gigs I generally run through the PA and the combo becomes a just a stage monitor/DI box.

If you do feel like you need more volume from the rig, my own suggestion would be to get a 15 to fill the bottom end out, as a good 15 cab will do this better than a 210 IMO. So I'd always go for a combination of 210 with 115 over just tens. I've used my CMD102P with a Hartke 115xl (just trying out at home) and been really pleased with the results. If I was going for a Markbass extension cab I'd probably get the rear ported 15 as it's lighter than the front ported version. But I voted for the 115HF as it's the nearest to my own preference.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I own the CMD 102P MarkBass and i've used it both as stage monitor as well as being on it's own for smaller gigs. It reproduces nicely all 5 strings (B-G) and it has the upper mids to provide presence in the band (very good DI as well)

6. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Why doesn't Markbass make a 2x12-cab (frontported)? That would be nice to complement the combo....

7. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Really depends on waht sound your looking for ..
    But if your missing the lows with the 210 Combo , then go for the 15 , they are really incredible , and small.
    But the 10'a are great , and i dont know any combination i like more than 4 10's ..

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I have the LM11 with the Traveller 102p and the STD 102HF.

The Std 102HF has real chest thumping lows for a single 2x10 and the combination works very well IMO.

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I believe a good 2x10 is enough for anything. By itself for small gigs, or as a DI/monitor for larger gigs. However, you have to decide whether or not you want more. If so, I suggest a 1x15. That would give you the best lows you can find.

10. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    After listening to the 210 combo this weekend I'd have to say that you would be playing very, very loud if this combo isn't enough. It really sounds MUCH bigger than it looks.

11. Yea, Markbass cabs are generally really punchy. Especially in the lowe end. I tried the 210 combo with a Pedulla Buzz 5 and those two 10's handled the B well, the speakers didn't look like they wanted to fly into the next century...

I then tried it with the standard 15 and it was simply THUNDEROUS. I had a Pedulla-Markbass eargasm...

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Thanx for your advise and experiences folks!
    I just had a good talk with Dave over a Clubbass.ca
    and he suggested keeping my 750x and getting a Sadowsky SA410 ! he said these cabs are the same price as a Markbass 104HF and more efficient! anyone ever tried one of these out?

13. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    bump for more insight.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The SA410 is a fantastic cab, and very efficient. It was designed to hold up to use with a tube amp (which often have greater excursion), and it does very well in this regard. But, it also makes the most of whatever solid state head you pair with it. I do find, though, that I like to bump the lows a bit when I use my SA410 with a SS head, but once I boost to taste, it sounds great.

Regarding Markbass cabs, my only experience is with my 102P (and my old Music Man HD210 and HD212). Going by the 102P, the Sadowsky cab has a ton more midrange and seems like a more efficient design (though I have not tried a Markbass 4x10).

Tom.

15. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    going back to your original thought (on the markbass) that combo is excellent, but when i tried it with the 104hf (albeit in gc) all i heard was the 104hf- i don't think they're a good match... and, as stated before, by itself, that combo is LOUD :bassist: and only 44lbs?!?!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021