1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which External Hard Drive for my iBook G4?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I would like to get an external hard drive to store all my Medeski, Martin & Wood live shows I have been downloading. They are filling my hard drive fast! I could burn them to CD; however, I would love to have fast access to them. I don't want to shuffle through CDs if I can help it.

I have a Mac iBook G4 w/Mac OS X 10.4.11 (non Intel). It's around 3 and a half years old (if that makes a difference).

Does anyone have some suggestions for me? I don't need some mega-fancy thing. Just something to store my audio so I can access it quickly and easily.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Just read this at the Seagate website:

I'm wondering if I'll mess this up...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  6. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Ohhh that's a really good deal! I used to have a 250 GB external (can't remember the brand off hand) but the drive started making that "your hard-drive is screwed" clicking noise and no longer works.

I really need a new one for live shows as well. They take up so much space, but you just can't stop downloading! :p

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    What ever you get if your book has FireWire, get a drive with Firewire

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    wow, someone else has that computer besides me... it's old, im surprised anyone uses it? how's yours holding up? my battery is pretty much shot.

anyway, pretty much any external will do. i have a Seagate 160GB, i don't remember having to run disk utility on it. western digital works pretty well as well. something to consider, your iBook has a firewire port, if you got a hard drive with a firewire port and connected them vie firewire, data transfer will go faster, as firewire is faster than usb 2.0

if you have a wireless router, you might want to look into a network drive. a network drive will hook up to your router via ethernet cable, enabling you to access your data wirelessly. these are more expensive though.

i'm going to buy this though..
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...mac_accessories/airport_wireless&mco=MzMyMzQy

it's a wireless router AND an external hard drive, so I'm pretty sure you would be able to transfer everything wirelessly.

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I've never had any problems with my computer. I love it; however, my battery is just starting to show signs of wear.

I think that firewire is a great idea. I do have a wireless router, but I'll save some money and just plug in direct.

Do you have any suggestions on brands/models w/firewire?

Joe

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    it really is a great machine. aside from the battery, i've had no problems.

don't know what your price range is, but this looks decent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148306

11. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks for the suggestion. This ended up being the right one for my needs. It's really easy to use! No issues. Thanks! The USB seems to be plenty fast. Also, it's one of the only external hard drives that says it will communicate with my Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Thanks again,
    Joe

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    To format a drive to just go and search in the Finder - Disk Utility. Double click it.

It should show the backup drive & your hard drive and you click on the back up drive and format it for 0SX in the list of options below. It erases the drive and rewrites it in OSX.

Any drive can be re-formatted for Mac in disk utilities.

If you have Firewire I would seriously get a Fire Wire drive- they can be found cheap.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021