Which famous bass player would you like to replace?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mr M, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Let's play a game. I wish it doesn't turn a "vomitting the hate to a famous bassist" thread.

Which famous bass player would you like to replace?

This is just a mind exercise. Think that a famous bass player had to leave the band for a reason (his wife is pregnant/she is pregnant :D, he began to think that a 9:00 AM-6:00 PM work is better (so he went out of mind), he decided to dedicate himself for the fight to save Terrier dogs from going extinct :D :D). So you don't have to kick him out of the band, but you'll replace him as the new bass player for the known band. Who do you think that you can replace and you can do well with their music in future. Of course we don't know the internal affairs of the band, maybe the lead guitarist and drummer are nuts and dictating the band :rolleyes: , maybe it's their wife/girlfriend is putting her nose in everything (This is NOT Spinal Tap :D). Whatever, this is out of the scope of the game.

Rules of the game:
    1. This is not "who is your idol bass player" thread.
    For example Steve Harris of Iron Maiden is my idol as a bass player, but I wouldn't like to replace him (because I CAN'T, in fact no one can, never will be able, OK I'm little bit biased when things come to Iron Maiden). In fact I believe noone can 100% replace someone else. This is not a "who would you like to be" thread either.

2. This is nor a "I'm better than ...(put a name)" thread. OK maybe you are an undiscovered miracle, a next Jaco. But this game is not intended to present yourself to us, mortal humans :D

3. This is nor a "...(put a band name)'s bass player sucks, I could double their performance if I were their bassplayer" thread.

Don't forget, it's just a game, let's play for fun.
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to replace Marcus Miller in the Headhunter '05 band.
    Or Carles Benavent in Chick Corea's Touchstone band.
    Or John Patitucci in all of Wayne Shorter's projects.
    I'd also like to join Soulive because they are lacking a bassist :p
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If Daryl Jones wants to call in sick, I'm ready to step in. :D

Playing with Charlie would be way,way cool.
  4. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Hofner, Rotosound
    I've always wanted to replace Matt Freeman of Rancid... Which isn't easy to say right now considering he's very sick with lung cancer...

My dream gig would be replacing the bass player with Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, though - their latest CD (VIKING) is on of my favorite rock CDs of all-time!

5. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Dan from The Alkaline Trio - it'd be fun to try satanism and pop music!

Jeordie from A Perfect Circle.
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The White Stripes...

Oh, wait ... :D

Seriously? Ehm, The new guy from Jamiroquai maybe..
  7. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    I think it would be great to replace Scott Shriner in Weezer, and perhaps replace Cone McCaslin in Sum 41. Ooh ooh, and it would pretty damn cool to replace JPJ, but I don't think anyone could, really.
  8. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.

9. Back in the day, Tommy Shannon in SRV

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd like to replace Ricky Minor.....all those shows and working with ALL the hotties....DAYYYUM, BROTHA!!!!! :D
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow, nice choices!
  12. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Well I would of loved to replace McCartney, Entwistle and JPJ but I 'm no where near as good as them so that would never happen. I would just want an excuse to hang out with the rest of those bands.

I wouldn't mind replacing Tommy Shannon if SRV was still around. I 'd like to replace Duff from VR too.
  13. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005

Double Trouble (whole double trouble) is the band I want to see and I can't, cause Stevie's passing.... Yeah.... Stevie... yeah.... and replacing Shannon (only as musician or even as Stevie's friend?) could be great... But I think I wouldn't be useful in DT :) I am really bad bassist....
  14. Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Soulive´s cd "Next" is really cool. Love the song "Joyful girl"..
    I´d like to replace Stefan Lessard. Would be cool to play with Carter Beuford. :rolleyes: :bassist:

I wouldn´t mind replacing Randy Jackson, to play with Beyoncé......
    But I guess their out of business anyway-
  15. F. Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power. Did anyone see that BP article about the guy that actually auditioned and toured while Mr Prestia was sick? Talk about a dream gig...
  16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Stefan Lessard at the Central Park show.

Tommy Shannon at both "Austin City Limits" shows with SRV.

Alongside Jason Newsted at Ozzfest 2 years ago when playing with Ozz and Zakk.

Backing up Steve Vai on all G3 performances. :D
  17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Will Lee! :D (I know that doesn't really follow the rules :p )

Close seconds would be:
    Rosco Beck's gigs. Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, etc (.......and I'll try not to stand behind the fat little Dixie Chick :smug: ).
    Micheal Anthony. I love Van Halen and I can sing really high so I can cover his vocals too.
    Rocco. 'Nuff said.
    Tim Commerford. I dig Audioslave.

(Guilty Pleasure:
    I wouldn't turn down Tom Petersson's Cheap Trick gig either :p ).
  18. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Saw them @ bonnaroo... WOW

Amazing set of music there, best I heard all weekend and right up there with one of the best performances I have seen live. Marcus Miller kicked ASS there, so did Roy Hargrove and of course Herbie did as well. Mayer was a nice surprise.

+1 to replacing him tho :hyper:
  19. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Hofner, Rotosound
  20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That was Bobby Vega... I got the oppt'y to meet and chat with him a couple weekends back.

Very cool guy, can groove like he was glued to it.