Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Fender 5-string has ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jdombrow, Jun 10, 2003.

1. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    the most traditional or vintage jazz bass tone?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't figure out what topic to search for.

Thanks,
    JD

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Are you looking for a passive tone?

3. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Go with the Fender Roscoe Beck 5. It is a great sounding bass. It is my favorite Fender.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thats kinda what I was getting at, the Beck V or maybe the MIM standard V. Both are passive.

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    When we were giving my EBS cab a test run, I loved Captain Scarlet's RB5, but then again I'm starting to fall in love with my Proto-J 5 (70s model) but then again thats not a Fender :p and its only got 4 strings right now (broke the B string by over tuning :p)

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    In general, if you want a good 5 string Fender, the Roscoe Beck is a very good way to go. It also defintley has that vintage Jazz bass tone IMO.

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Anyone try out a Miller 5 yet?

8. Although I don't play it that much anymore, my MIA Jazz V has the classic jazz tone IMHO. It also kills with the Sadowsky outboard preamp - becomes a Marcus Miller machine!
    :bassist:

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Roscoe Beck V!

10. Here's another vote for the RB5. It has all the classic tones and more. It was and is still my No. 1.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Call me crazy but I can't understand how any bass can have "the most traditional or vintage jazz bass tone" more than the passive Standard Jazz V.:confused:

I have a passive "Standard" Jazz V and it has a fantastic traditional vintage jazz sound. (and feel for that matter). But I don't have nearly as much experience with other basses as a lot ot other talkbassers.

Perhaps Nino-Brown can comment, he recently got a passive Standard Jazz V very much like mine, and has lots more experience with a hundred other basses.

Here's his thread.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, Roscoe Beck worked with lots of people at Fender to specifically design the RB5 to get the vintage tone of his 60s Jazz bass in a 5-string.

If you look on his website he wrote long articles explaining how making a Fender 5 is not just a case of adding another string, as Leo's original bass was very much a happy accident that worked with 4 strings but doesn't if you add more.

So Roscoe worked on different pickups with more, smaller magnets and on making the headstock lighter to counter neck dive, plus a host of other things - but he always kept his 60s Jazz bass with him as reference to make sure it got that vintage tone - so there's no surprise about this! ;)

BTW - they didn't have 5s with low B in the 60s!!

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    A Fender five string with classic passive J Bass tone? The RB5 is, head and shoulders, the best choice.

14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The Roscoe Beck 5 does indeed have great tone, but you better like a neck that feels like a skateboard with strings on it.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I loved the neck - but in any case it's narrower than say a Lakland 5 or a Yamaha TRB - not the widest by a long way!

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bruce Lindfield, thanks for the explanation. So I guess something like the standard Jazz V would have a more "modern 5 string" sound to it than the RB5.

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Re: RB5 neck.
    Yes, it's an acquired taste but after about a week I loved the neck. Very wide but very thin and very playable.

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep I'm sure you can get used to it. But the neck is the reason I wound up getting the Stingray5. Much much slimmer. But not exactly a j bass tone.