1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Fender 9050s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heretic, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I'm just about to make the switch from roundwounds to flatwounds. I am using .45-.65-.80-.105 gauge right now and I have been reading alot about how the Fender strings have alot of tension, almost too much. I like to have a bit of tension but I don't really want steel bars for strings. Should I get the medium light set or the medium set?

THANKS

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Get the ML set. It feels like a larger gauge than it is. They are a very stiff string when new, but tend to loosen up a bit as they break in. Give them at least a month of playing to really start to come into there voice. I find them to have a strong mid attack at first, then mellowing to a strong voiced thump.

Don't fight them to play them. Play softer and let your amp do the work. I've been playing flats for a few years now. My hands were a little fatigued to begin with, but that will go away as you gain some strength.

You can get a very low action with them, and that will make fretting a bit easier. My jazz is set up with very low action so I can still get some pretty fast runs when needed, without working to hard.

3. :cool: I would go with the "light" set, 9050L. I haven't been able to really find a noticeable difference between the three sets as far a tone goes. The Ls are easier on your bass and easier on your hands if you're not used to the higher tension of flatwounds.