Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Fender 9050s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heretic, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I'm just about to make the switch from roundwounds to flatwounds. I am using .45-.65-.80-.105 gauge right now and I have been reading alot about how the Fender strings have alot of tension, almost too much. I like to have a bit of tension but I don't really want steel bars for strings. Should I get the medium light set or the medium set?

THANKS

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Get the ML set. It feels like a larger gauge than it is. They are a very stiff string when new, but tend to loosen up a bit as they break in. Give them at least a month of playing to really start to come into there voice. I find them to have a strong mid attack at first, then mellowing to a strong voiced thump.

Don't fight them to play them. Play softer and let your amp do the work. I've been playing flats for a few years now. My hands were a little fatigued to begin with, but that will go away as you gain some strength.

You can get a very low action with them, and that will make fretting a bit easier. My jazz is set up with very low action so I can still get some pretty fast runs when needed, without working to hard.

3. :cool: I would go with the "light" set, 9050L. I haven't been able to really find a noticeable difference between the three sets as far a tone goes. The Ls are easier on your bass and easier on your hands if you're not used to the higher tension of flatwounds.