Which Fender Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass>Guitar, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Hi I'm in a little bit of a stiuation and need some advice from someone who knows more than I do. For christmas I'm putting a downpayment on a new combo amp. The only brand that has any in my price range is Fender. I've narrowed it down to two choices:
    Fender Rumble 100
    Fender Bassman 100

I was wondering which would be more worth the money. The rumble has a 15' inch speaker where as the bassman has a 10' inch. But the Bassman has a better eq system.

All opnions and advice would be welcome, and yes i have played both and still could not decide :bag:
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I sponserd getting my daughters boyfriend into bass. I got him a Bassman and it worked out well. Where I used to live, I spent ALOT of money @ GC, so I had 2 real close salesmen. I was steered away from the Rumbles from the one who was a Pro bass player.
    That's just one opinon.
  3. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Hmm..both are 100 watts..but the only thing I am a little iffy on is the fact that the Bassman only has one 10" woofer..If the Bassman had 2x10's then I would go for that, but since it only has 1x10 it probably won't handle the lows as good as a 1x15 IMO. You will also be able to move more air with the 15"... If you wan't more punch go for the Bassman...and if you want more low end grunt and boom go for the Rumble. Just my 2 cents :cool:

Also, is weight a factor for you? The Rumble weighs more than twice as much as the Bassman..also something to consider.

Edit - You are in Amherstburg..wow small world.
  4. Small world, no, were starting after I buy one of those amps from L&M after christmas.
  5. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    i have a rumble 60, and i prefer it over the bassman combos :bag:
  6. JBalloonist

Apr 16, 2005
    Franklin, OH
    Go with the rumble...with only one speaker you want something that can handle the lows well. I don't think a 10 would cut it in this case.
  7. Thanks for your input, I was kind of leaning to the Rumble anyways because of the bigger speaker. The good thing is that their's only one guitarist that's going to be in the band :smug:
  8. Having owned a Bassman 25, I can tell you that they are excellent little amps. However, that amp was needed for a different purpose: for home practise and small jams with a bluegrass/folk band (I only had to be heard over acoustic instruments). With a louder band with a drum kit player, you'll want to move as much air as possible. The bassman with its 10" would likely sound tighter and more precise, but the speaker size is way smaller:

Size Area Number Total Area
    10" 75 sq-in 2 150 sq-in
    10" 75 sq-in 4 300 sq-in
    12" 108 sq-in 2 216 sq-in
    15" 169 sq-in 1 169 sq-in
    18" 243 sq-in 1 243 sq-in
    (taken from ttp://www.guitarnoise.com/print_article.php?id=166)

As you can see, the 15" will push more than twice the area of air than the 10". The Rumbles are not quite as good as the Bassmans in terms of sound, but I think in this case the choice is clear.
  9. er, sorry, that table didn't come out how I wanted it to, lets try this:

Size.....Area..........Number......Total Area
    10"......75 sq-in........2............150 sq-in
    10"..... 75 sq-in........4............300 sq-in
    12".....108 sq-in.......2............216 sq-in
    15".....169 sq-in.......1............169 sq-in
    18".....243 sq-in.......1............243 sq-in
  10. ^ really appreciate the diagrams :) . The chose is now clear, thanks for all your help guys. :bassist:
  11. I have the Rumble 150 and it's great, but the 100, with the 10 inch speaker, won't cut it. (Unless you want a lot of punch and not as much bass)

Go with the Rumble, or save up for the 150.
  12. Keith, I think you meant the Bassman 150 (they don't make a rumble 150?)

But top the origional poster - go with the rumble - for it's price and size, it can't be beat. I gigged that thing like a 2 dollar wh*re, and it took everything I threw at it - more even than my SWR WM15 in fact!

and yes, like the guys said, as a single speaker, take the 15 over the 10 just about every time... it does have a horn too for the really high stuff.