1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Fender Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special

36 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Fender Blink 182 Mark Hoppus Signature Model

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass

34 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

10 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Fender 50's P-Bass

16 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Fender Highway 1 Precision Bass

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

54 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. I play rock/ experimental stuff (kinda like Thrice, Thursday, and Underoath). I play through an ampeg 8x10 with an ampeg svt-cl.

2. Andy3825

Andy3825

Jul 31, 2005
    Meriden, CT
    Fender Deluxe Active Special P-Bass.

A lot of those kinds of bands' bassists use P-Basses, so I would suggest one like that.

3. I voted for the Aerodyne Jazz.

I played one about a year ago and it just felt and sounded right as soon as I picked it up. :cool:

I think it's one of Fender's best values for $630.

Mike

4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    That deluxe active Precision is a beast for rock and will give you a little more tonal variety for the experiment stuff than a standard P.

5. I agree with them on the active p-bass.

6. the 50's p bass is a reissue right?

7. P bass is the way to go. I went through all that type of music. I used a '78 P. It worked great and kicked some major butt. :)

8. Eilif

Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You can't go wrong with the jazz, and it has agreat look. If you want something even more old school, the 50's p is super thumpy, and the highway 1 p is a good choice, but the Geddy lee is much more versatile

9. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    Interesting.........I'm in the majority for a change

"geddy lee"

I always played a jazz bass bass since 1977, the pasive jazz sound just says it all.

got to get another one...... :hyper:

10. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    couldnt agree more, cant see the appeal of having a fender precission (personal preference), get a jazz :)

11. RedBlueFireMan

RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    Geddy Lee for jazz, Deluxe P for everything else

12. Just about every bass sound I have ever fell in love with turned out to be a P Bass with a maple neck thru an ampeg svt.

I know my next bass will be the 50's Precision--a close second would be the Deluxe Active Precision though...

L

13. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I voted deluxe J but thats before i saw the geddy. Get that!

14. BUMP

15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I play a 1987 Fender Jazz Special w/Seymour Duncan pups. I've used it for you name it.
    So I voted for the Deluxe Active P.

16. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I play pretty much the same kind of music as you do, my band is heavily influenced by Thrice and UnderOath. I use a Fender Standard Jazz with Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder SJB-3 pickups. This gets the job done and then some. I run it through an Eden WT-400 into an Ampeg SVT 410-HLF, and I love the tone of it and it cuts through like a beast. Keep this in mind, but try out as many basses as possible. God Bless. -Brad

17. BUMP

18. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm in a band that plays similar stuff and right now I'm using a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Does the job real well though I do plan on putting it on the bench soon so I can use my SX Steve Harris Signature bass (basically a hooked up P-bass). I'd still vote for the Geddy because of the sound, price and quality, just make sure you're comfortable with the slimmed down neck, I make due but I'd much rather have a chunky sized P-bass neck.

19. sonic_raver

sonic_raver

Aug 6, 2005
    What music styles are the P and J suited for? I'm a punk and three chord rock fan thinking about playing bass. (stooges, iggy, social distortion) Would a squier P bass be good start with?

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    A jazz is ALWAYS a good bass to have no matter what style you play IME. it can do it al l(to an extent). But for that style A P would be good too :D