Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Fender Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special

36 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Fender Blink 182 Mark Hoppus Signature Model

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass

34 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

10 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Fender 50's P-Bass

16 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Fender Highway 1 Precision Bass

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

54 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. I play rock/ experimental stuff (kinda like Thrice, Thursday, and Underoath). I play through an ampeg 8x10 with an ampeg svt-cl.

2. Andy3825

Andy3825

Jul 31, 2005
    Meriden, CT
    Fender Deluxe Active Special P-Bass.

A lot of those kinds of bands' bassists use P-Basses, so I would suggest one like that.

3. I voted for the Aerodyne Jazz.

I played one about a year ago and it just felt and sounded right as soon as I picked it up. :cool:

I think it's one of Fender's best values for $630.

Mike

4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    That deluxe active Precision is a beast for rock and will give you a little more tonal variety for the experiment stuff than a standard P.

5. I agree with them on the active p-bass.

6. the 50's p bass is a reissue right?

7. P bass is the way to go. I went through all that type of music. I used a '78 P. It worked great and kicked some major butt. :)

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You can't go wrong with the jazz, and it has agreat look. If you want something even more old school, the 50's p is super thumpy, and the highway 1 p is a good choice, but the Geddy lee is much more versatile

9. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Interesting.........I'm in the majority for a change

"geddy lee"

I always played a jazz bass bass since 1977, the pasive jazz sound just says it all.

got to get another one...... :hyper:

10. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    couldnt agree more, cant see the appeal of having a fender precission (personal preference), get a jazz :)

11. RedBlueFireMan

RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    Geddy Lee for jazz, Deluxe P for everything else

12. Just about every bass sound I have ever fell in love with turned out to be a P Bass with a maple neck thru an ampeg svt.

I know my next bass will be the 50's Precision--a close second would be the Deluxe Active Precision though...

L

13. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I voted deluxe J but thats before i saw the geddy. Get that!

14. BUMP

15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I play a 1987 Fender Jazz Special w/Seymour Duncan pups. I've used it for you name it.
    So I voted for the Deluxe Active P.

16. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I play pretty much the same kind of music as you do, my band is heavily influenced by Thrice and UnderOath. I use a Fender Standard Jazz with Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder SJB-3 pickups. This gets the job done and then some. I run it through an Eden WT-400 into an Ampeg SVT 410-HLF, and I love the tone of it and it cuts through like a beast. Keep this in mind, but try out as many basses as possible. God Bless. -Brad

17. BUMP

18. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm in a band that plays similar stuff and right now I'm using a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Does the job real well though I do plan on putting it on the bench soon so I can use my SX Steve Harris Signature bass (basically a hooked up P-bass). I'd still vote for the Geddy because of the sound, price and quality, just make sure you're comfortable with the slimmed down neck, I make due but I'd much rather have a chunky sized P-bass neck.

19. sonic_raver

sonic_raver

Aug 6, 2005
    What music styles are the P and J suited for? I'm a punk and three chord rock fan thinking about playing bass. (stooges, iggy, social distortion) Would a squier P bass be good start with?

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    A jazz is ALWAYS a good bass to have no matter what style you play IME. it can do it al l(to an extent). But for that style A P would be good too :D