which fender is for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Sep 21, 2002.

1. I love the fender tone but i want to get the best i can for the money im paying? I will be spending no more than around 500 bucks? So could anyone please give me their opinion on which would be the best bass around that price range(200-500)..I am playing an Epiphone P-bass copy right now that is my brothers.I would like an upgrade. Even if you have something to recommend besides fender.please do that.
  2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I think with a $500 ceiling, a used American Standard is the way to go. As for P or J, why not start a new thread asking which is better?
  3. Or instead since its been asked a million times or so, you could run a search.

In any case, you could grab a new MIM Fender and throw in some new pickups and a badass bridge and have yourself one mean player. And if you did this, you'd still have a little cash left over for some new strings and such.
  4. I would look around for a used Reverend. You should have no problem finding one if you look around the net. Trust me, you won't regret it.
  5. where could i find a USA standard for that little of a price??if anyone knows.i am highly interested? the lowest ive seen a USA standard fender is for around 7 hundred.
  6. What kind of sound do Reverend's have?? are they good for a variety of genres?

7. SOrry i didnt realize you wrote used.but i guess the question still stands?where could i find a used USA standard fender for 500 or less
  8. Reverends are very versatile. You can get eveything from Jazz Bass to EB-0 and all points between...they're also well built and have to-die-for necks.
  9. A used MIJ fender j or p standard bass is about $300-$400, and there's always one or two on ebay. That should fit in your buget and is a bass that most believe has better quality than a MIM Fenders.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Keep your eyes open at music stores for "scratch and dent" items that sell for a reduced price. I was at a store yesterday and saw a new sunburst MIM P with a small chip by the rear strap mount that was selling for $299. Ive also seen MIA's for good prices that had minor cosmetic flaws, but seemed to play perfectly.

Dont overlook smaller shops that have Basses hanging around for awhile either. In 2000, I bought a new sunburst 98 MIA P with hardshell case for $575.
  11. My MIJ Jazz Bass isn't too bad, though the MIA's I've played are superior--better pickups, etc.

I saw a pretty nice MIA Precision on Ebay for $600, with no bidders. That's only $100 than you're saying you want to spend, and the extra $100 is worth it in my opinion, if you can come up with it.

Do you have any sort of local classified paper where you live where you could find good deals? When I lived in So. Cal., there was this great paper called the Recycler where you could pick up musical instruments at a fair price. I knew a guy who bought a Gibson ES-335 for $500, and my Jazz Bass only cost me $300.
  12. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Four words.

Used Fender Geddy Lee
  13. thank you all for responding. I still need to save up some more before i buy a bass.and i will take all of what you guys said into consideration.thanks alot