1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Fender jazz 5 and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am thinking of trying/buying a fender jazz 5. Hated them last time I investigated, but I just heard one and I be thinking...

So, opinions? What's good and why?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I've never owned a Fender bass, but if I had to get one of their 5strings, it would be the Roscoe Beck. Awesome tonal options with those pickups.

Jim Carr likes this.
  3. I’d probably go with the Mexican deluxe in Burst
    6B41001C-779C-49CA-A2F6-52F8F4A62974.
    Mainly cosmetic but some functional differences.

I like the way the bridge looks. It’s a little beefier than other models which have the smaller more vintage style bridge.

I prefer their 5 inline headstock over the 4+1 headstock. To me the 4+1 fender headstock is just too cluttered with the two round style string trees instead of the single one the deluxe has. Also while I’ve had a couple nice basses with 4+1 headstocks (a pair of Mia stingray 5s in particular) The 4+1 headstock is my least favorite.

I prefer the output jack location being on the side of the body instead of near the controls. Partially out of habit because most of my basses have had the more modern output jack location. But also it’s a functional thing. My main bass which I have no thoughts of selling at the moment, needs a straight ended cable and I prefer using a right angle cable for fenders with the traditional output jack location. Just another headache if I want to switch between the two.

One of the big things is the all maple neck. You can’t even get the standard/player series 5 string jazz with an all maple neck. It was either rosewood for the “standard” or Pau Ferro for the “player series”. Not hating on those woods or saying one is night and day better than another. I’m just into maple personally. I like the way it looks and I like how smooth it is.

king_biscuit and wmmj like this.
  4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I had a Fender Am Std Jazz V. It was a very nice bass, felt good, played well and sounded great, just like a Fender. The sound "took me back"!!

The E, A, D and G strings were perfect but I felt the B wasn't quite there. It sounded slightly different to the rest of the strings. I gigged it and no one else could hear it, but I thought I could!! It wasn't a big problem, I could have lived with it, but I'd been on a buying spree and at the time I owned a Lakland, Lull, Sadowsky and the Fender. I'm a one bass person so all my basses had to fight it out for the place in my gig bag.

The Sadowsky won and all the rest were sold.

Jim Carr and deepestend like this.
  5. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    One important detail,this bass has no tone control for passive mode.Sire is cheaper and just as good.

Dimbass777 and dabbler like this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What year was your Fender Am Std Jazz V?
    I'm thinking they have improved—maybe.

7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Very possibly true. I'm just kind of a Fender fan—though I probably should give the Sire line another look.

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The instrument I heard yesterday was a Fender American Elite Jazz 5. Reggae band in Waikiki. Bass->GK fusion->Avatar 410 and into a PA with a couple of good subs.

Huge tone.

9. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Obviously a Squier Contemporary. I wouldn't pay for the name or for an outdated hero-mimicking model.

10. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    The new Fender Player Jazz V looks nice for not much coin.

Sanci and Jim Carr like this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe it was a 2009. They probably have improved. From the reviews I've read the new ranges seem to be a step forward.

As a "humble" Standard I thought it was the best Fender I'd picked up for awhile but I'll also admit, it probably wasn't a fair fight to pitch this bass against the others I owned at the time.

Jim Carr likes this.
  12. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    IMO the mex deluxe is an active bass with an emergency passive switch and active is not something fender does very well.Check out american standart used.

Jim Carr likes this.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    One built by Mike Lull ?

Jim Carr likes this.
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    If you must have a Fender , the Elite Jazz V. Neck feels great. I owned one briefly but returned it once the Stingray5 Specials were released.

Leonid Nidis likes this.
  15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    To be honest, I have have 3 nice passive 4-string Jazzes, 2 Fenders and a Nash. I use them a lot—or at least as often as possible—when I don't need a 5-string.

I also confess I have 4 5-strings basses, an MTD passive MIK Artist, two Laklands (MIK Skyline 55-01 and 55-60 Joe Osborn), and a magnificent Valenti with all Sadowsky electronics. Remembering that I already have 4 5-strings makes me think i need to hold on to my wallet a little more tightly, LOL. :roflmao:

However, ALL of my five strings are 35" scale, and only the Valenti and 55-01 are active. The MTD has one MusicMan pickup in the standard MM position, and the 55-60 JO is passive. Ergo, I don't have an active jazz bass. Someone (me?) suggested a Sadowsky external pre-amp for the 55-60, but I didn't hear them. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I like Fender basses, but have been turned off by the B string on earlier Fender Jazz 5-strings.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Hmmm....been about 10 years since I picked one up too. It was in Lexington, Kentucky at Willcutt Guitars. I think it was an MIA Marcus Miller Fender V (???). All the bells and whistles, but somehow the B was wrong.

17. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    How was the B string?
    Did you like the Preamp?

18. Marcus miller V, if you can find one. Otherwise American Elite.

LM Bass likes this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    The B string was good. The preamp was ok. But to be honest , my Sire preamp is more to my liking. Pickups and preamps are all subjective just like neck preference.
    Buy with a good return policy and give it a try .

Stumbo and Jim Carr like this.
  20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have 2 American Pro's. But are 4's. Heard the 5 in a jazz and I liked it a lot. A good friend of mine heard the P5 version and was blown away.