1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Fender Jazz gets the TI Flats?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectre Gunner, Jul 14, 2017.

1. I'm fortunate to have acquired a 2016 Fender Jazz Elite IV earlier this year and very recently picked up a 2017 Sonic Grey, Fender Pro Jazz. I put a set of TI J344 Flats on the Elite a few months ago and the Pro came with a set of rounds which still sound new and bright, at least for now but eventually the rounds will need to be replaced but the TI flats will probably out live me.

Which bass would you use for the flat strings and why? They are both a Fender Jazz but there are some key differences such as the Elite has an active preamp, jumbo frets and noiseless (version #4) pups, while the Pro is passive with tall narrow frets and their newly designed alnico pups.

I'd like to keep one with rounds and the other with flats. But which one should get the flats or rounds? Which type of string would you use on which bass and why?

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    My completely unscientific recommendation is: Flats on the passive, rounds on the active. I realize that the Elite can also operate passively, but I'd think the combination of rounds and the 18V preamp would give you a wider range of tonal options than keeping the TIs on the Elite.

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  3. Good point. However, this Pro Jazz seems to have a rather broad tonal range. More so than I thought I would get from a passive preamp.

I'm thinking the tall frets on the Pro might work be better with the rounds. I'll won't really know until I try flats on the Pro model. It's just that I don't really want to spend $75 or more for another set of TI flats just for testing purposes.

Anyone put flats on their new Jazz Pro yet?

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Do they have to be TI flats? You could certainly experiment with a lower-priced set – maybe Fender's 9050ML flats – and then keep them as spares if you later decide to go TI.

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  5. Going with a less pricy flat is an option I considered but I wonder if doing so would be an honest comparison with the TI's? I'm not saying the Fender strings aren't as good as the TI's but they may be different.

I may just take the TI's off of the Elite and swap with the rounds from the Pro. Is it a bad thing to take strings off and put them back on (particularly a different bass)?

I was just playing the Pro this afternoon and I'm starting to think I might like the taller frets on it for playing pop & slap style. I'm not much of a P&S style player but I'm working on it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Apples to apples, I guess not. A swap would probably be the best test. If you can record yourself to enhance objectivity, even better.

Malak the Mad likes this.