1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Fender Jazz Neck (mia,mim,mij)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fitzy73, Oct 6, 2009.

1. fitzy73

fitzy73

Mar 1, 2008
    I am just putting the finishing touches on a jazz bass . i have a gotoh 201 bridge , seymour duncan basslines and a ash body . i was looking at ebay for a neck , and seen a guy who has fender necks there mostly 2008/2009 models from usa ,mexico and japan . i have never played a fender so have no idea which are better .any help would be great

2. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I love the neck on my MIA but I never tried any other fenders.

3. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    The MIJ necks are very nice - beautifully made, they usually have a very shiny lacquer on the back, but I like that feel. MIA is more 'satin'..

4. Unfortunately it's really a crapshoot. Some are great, some are not, and it doesn't seem to matter much where they are made these days.
    MIA's Standards have graphite stiffening bars(Posi-Flex), and the others don't, for what it's worth. I personally think the bars are a good idea.

5. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Also if you like thin necks you can get a MIJ Geddy neck.

6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    The MIA necks have comfy rolled edges; dunno about the others.

7. aresc

aresc

Mar 26, 2009
    Mia necks are graphite reinforced,have got nice medium jumbo frets and rolled edges.

8. The "best" of those necks is the MIA. The graphite rods, rolled edges (for that broken in feel), and the satin finish....the MIM will have a slab fingerboard if it is rosewood, and I don't know about the CIJ, but the MIA will be a solid piece...

9. Definitely MIA unless you want the really thin Geddy Lee. Try it out first, however, because it's a very personal thing.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Option 1. MIA
    Option 2. Geddy Neck
    Option 3.'75 RI or MM neck.

11. Punk Jazz

Punk Jazz

Sep 17, 2009
    Dover, NH
    I am partial to the MIJ/CIJ Necks myself.

12. I have a 98 MIA and it has a nice satin finish on the back
    Im not too picky I like both gloss and satin but I am more concerned with profile

I had a CIJ neck that had a more pronounced flat back and a C shape
    it was a fast playing neck and glossy but I personally like the slightly more chunkier neck of the MIAs

MIMs are a real crapshoot . Some are as good as my MIA and some are dogs with sharps fret edges

13. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    Except for MIJ/CIJ all Fender necks (MIM/MIA) are made at the Corona Plant in Cali. And as some have stated the standard MIA is graphite reinforced but the early Fenders didn't have this option and are still functioning just fine.

IMO the early Fenders from 50's and 60's has a very thin fret wire that makes it feel like you are playing a fretless. Choose neck based on shape, size of frets and wires, maple or rosewood.

14. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    The graphite rods in MIA necks make them heavier. That might be something to think about.

15. Get a Mighty-Mite neck and save yourself a bunch of cash. Just as good as the Fenders and a fraction of the price.

16. I would avoid the actual fender necks, not because they are bad, they are just to expensive when compared to the other liscensed necks available.

look at
    mighty mite
    all parts
    warmoth
    USACG

17. fitzy73

fitzy73

Mar 1, 2008
    thanks for all your help , ordered a maple mighty mite this morning