1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Fender Jazz to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jady, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Well, my quest for a Sadowsky has hit a snag. I don't have access to enough dough :(

But I need a more classic bass tone for most of my gigs. My Bee Bass is very modern and punch and honestly too much for a lot of my gigs. I am considering a Fender Jazz and selling it a year or so down the road to help fund the Sad when I can afford it. Having never owned an actual Fender I am looking for recommendations on which models to check out.

My price range is $800-$1000.

How do you know if it is MIA or CIJ?

Thanks for the advice!!!

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Maybe try the 60's ReIssue CIJ on Ishibashi - I think it comes in right around $700ish and looks classy, has a rosewood board so you can something nice and smooth.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm a big fan of the Geddy Lee model. It's my only Fender, and it compares to much more expensive models. The neck is awesome, and bound, and it's got the classic Jazz vibe.

4. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    Marcus miller, all the way! do it! you know you want to!

5. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I would recommend the Marcus or the Geddy as well, but he said he has the punchy sound covered, that's why I suggested Rosewood.

But both those basses rock - check my signature.

6. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    +1

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Used MIA or Geddy Lee.

The Geddy neck is very very slim.

8. +2 :bassist:

Btw, I don't think anybody answered this, but if it's a "Crafted in Japan" or "Made in America" or whatever, it'll say on the bass.

9. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    How do you tell from the internet sales sites? None of the sites I have seen have specified.

10. Usually if they don't specify, they're Mexican. All of the Fender standard basses are made in Mexico. The American basses they specify as American. But the ones like the Geddy Lee bass are Crafted in Japan and say so on the bass.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IIRC, all the Fenders show it right in the serial #. Mexican made begin with with an M, Japanese made begin with a J.

12. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    That price range puts you right in Fender's wheelhouse IMO. The Geddy J, Highway One, and Marcus Miller are all solid choices.

I own a Geddy J and can't recommend it enough. If you can play one first do so, because some people don't like the small neck.

13. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    You could get a Lakland Joe Osborn (Skyline) in that price range. I love mine - it's light, has a great neck, ash body, loud and punchy pickups. I think they only come in sunburst or black, but they're a terrific bass.

The Mexican Fender stuff is also worth looking at. The quality has come way up in the last year or so. Nice ash bodies, maple or rosewood fingerboards. The Marcus model is nice too, you may or may not want a preamp, you didn't specify...

14. My personal favourite Jazz bass (as in Fender Jazz) would be the '62 RI, followed up closely y the '75 RI.

But I'll second Ed and say that, dollar for dollar, the worthwhile buy is the Lakland.

15. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I guess some more info is nessicary here.

I play mainly jazz, blues, fusion and a bit of rock. I need a punchy but deep sound with the classic jazz bass slap tone. The main reasons I was looking at Sadowskys is the present sound in a band context and the equal note, volume, and tonal response all up and down the neck. I have had too many really nice basses that lose all presence when you get up onto the G string.

From what I have heard the Fender Jazz would offer all of these things as well.

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Japanese CIJ 62 or 75 reissue Jazz

+

Sadowsky Outboard Preamp

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The basic passive USA Jazz bass would be what I recommend.

18. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I've had them all and experiences tells me that If I were in the market for a Fender Jazz, a MIM Active is the way I would go.
    Dispite whatever hearsay gets cycled around here, the Made in Mexico bodies and necks are quite good. Couple that with the American preamp and pickups, this bass is a TONE MONSTER!! The hardware is very functional so an "upgrade" isn't necessary really.

When I give input to MIM basses I always encourage people to take the Fender on-line Mexican factory tour, I think you'll be impressed at the workmanship and quality of their entire product line, including their basses.

KT

19. Reggie Hamilton sig just to be different....and because it can cover so much ground.

20. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    If you are buying it just to sell it again in a year then I think you should buy used. I would go for an american jazz. You can find a mint one for around 700 with ease. IF you want to look for a while you could get one cheaper.

If possible I would first head down the the music store and play a bunch of them though. Maybe a MIM will work for you.