1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Fender Jazz to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mussla, May 10, 2010.

1. mussla

mussla

May 10, 2010
    Hi all!

I'm new to this forum. I have been playing bass on and off for 20 years. I just started in a band again after a break lasting years and I'm on the hunt for a new bass. :)

I went down to a music store and tried a Jazz Deluxe Active. I thought it was really good but I wanted to do some research before buying. I have read up on the different versions of the Jazz and I think I either want an Active Deluxe or a 70's remake (the dealer did not have a 70's so I haven't tried one yet). I play blues, rock, reagge and funk (slap) and I'd like a bass that works good for all of these styles.

I read that the pickup spacing on the 70's is better for slap but hum might be a problem. I guess the active version has no hum problem and might have better sound over all? But is it not as good for slap playing? I also like the master volume and pan between pups on the active...

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Mussla

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    The bass player in the band that I play drums in has been playing bass for something like 35 years. Made his living doing it at times in his life. He went to GC last Spring with a fat IRS refund check and the plan to buy a nice, new bass. He has always played Fender. He went in expecting to buy a new Fender MIA Jazz. But, he tried lots of stuff and ended up buying the bass he actually liked the best - better than an MIA Jazz. He got a Squier Active Jazz Deluxe 5 string. He paid GC's regular price on those, which was $329.

He's been gigging with it for over a year now and still loves it. He's still got his ratty old Fender 4 string that he brings to all our gigs as his backup, but he never plays it.

3. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Tough call, you really need to play them all (and there are MANY) versions. I realize it's not that easy to do.

I own a made in Japan 1975 reissue. Ash body, maple fretboard. I like it, but I find the mids a little thin, and it is quite bright.

I think the alder body / rosewood fretboard Jazzes sound the best personally.

4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    As Stu stated -Squire makes a good bass. I find some of their guitars and basses better than MIM Fenders. *I* use both a Highway One P-Bass and J-Bass (with Warmoth necks). I have a friend that replaced the pups on his Squire bass with USA Fender pups and is tickled with them. GREAT bang for the buck...anyway one goes about it ;)

5. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    I tried a bunch of different Fender Jazz basses over the course of a couple months, and like the other post settled on a $250 Squier. I dropped new Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in it and swapped in a badass II (both from TBers) and I have a very nice J for under $500. I really wanted a Fender and wrestled with the extra 500+ I would have to drop and couldn't justify it. Even if you don't love it, it will make a very decent backup. I know I am not alone in this sentiment here either. You can find them everywhere, they are easy to A/B with the big boys.

6. The Geddy Lee bass is really nice.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

I'm also a big fan of the 62 Reissues - not sure what your price range is, but you can get a used CIJ one for around $600 (I have Lindy Fralin pickups in mine, sounds awesome) or an MIA (used) for about $1200

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Can I make an outside suggestion?

The newest P-basses are really nice - Nicer, I think, than the current J-basses. You take a stock new US P-bass and stick a J-p'up in it, and you will have a rock & roll workhorse that can't be beat...

9. gaelicwinter

gaelicwinter

May 3, 2010
    Have been playing a 1978 Guild B-302 since...1978. Its a bit worn now, but still moves me when I play it. I just ordered my new bass, the new Fender American Deluxe Jazz V. Doesn't arrive until August :-( I love the sound and the feel, and the 5th string is going to give me a little more room to move.

10. I've got a 2008 American Standard Jazz V that is awesome. You can't go wrong with one of those.

Yeah, I know I sound like a salesman, but I'm really not. Just a very satisfied player of 35+ yrs of playing the bass and the AS Fender is such a "plug in and play" instrument.:smug:

11. mussla

mussla

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the replies all. It's much appreciated! :)

I'll definitely check out the Active Squier Jazz. I hadn't thought about that one at all. I had budgeted for the Fender MIM Deluxe Active but the Squier is less then half the price so that's a nice saving!

Does the difference in pickup spacing between the 70's and the normal jazz make a big difference?

Is the pup spacing on the Active Squier the same as the normal Jazz? In a photo I saw it looked like the bridge pickup on the squier was closer to the bridge, more like the 70's.

Mussla

12. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Go try a Marcus Miller 4 string,i have one,and it's far better then any USA jazz iv'e recently tried,and will cover all the styles you are after,good luck.