Which Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Play/By/Feel, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Hey, I Have A Small Problem. I Live In A Small Town With Only 1 Music Store. My Current Bass Dosent Hold Up To The Standard In The Band That I'm In, So Im Thinking Of Buying A Fender Jazz, But That 1 Music Store Only Carries The Standard Jazz. Anyway, The Fender Active Deluxe Jazz Is $100, But Ill Have To Mail Order It So I Wont Know What It Plays Like Until Ive Already Bought It..
    In Short Is The Active Jazz Worth It, Or Should I Just Go For The Standard?
  2. I know if I was a moderator this would be moved to the bass section. But to answer your question.....well give you advice anyways....I play a Fender American Jazz Deluxe V. it's sweet. I get a lot of compliments on the sound....an looks. Anyways, I'd go with the active..you'll be better off in the long run.

BTW. these basses play very nice....especially after getting them set up right.

3. Go fo rthe active...for an extra hundred, you get the paint-job of your choice. Active american pick-ups, and the active p-ups will give you a hotter signal which is better in live situations then a passive bass...that's my thoughts....i love mine
  4. I would go with the standard and modify it as your budget allows. Many people rave about these basses once they have customized them to their personal preferances.
    A used Badass bridge can be found for around $50 and many, many sets of pickups can be had for under $100 (I would recommend EMG's for that bass but Bartolini's are great as well.). Get the frets dressed and have the action set-up, and you'll have one fine playing and sounding instrument for years to come.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    As there is no such Fender Jazz amp I guess this thread belongs to the bass forum....:D
  6. man thats a great idea. I have been wanting to buy a cheap 4 string......maybe I will, then fix it up to play and sound better.

So why do you reccomend Emgs for the Jazz and not Barts?
    Just curious (I'm looking to replace mine)
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Off To Basses We Go! ;)
  8. The Standard Jazz is not in any way hurting for tone. They sound great and there are a million upgrades you can do to them if you ever want a change. If you want to go active later stick a J-Retro in it. It is more versatile than the Deluxe preamp. Go to Fenders web page and you can listen to sound samples for the Standard and the Deluxe.

The Deluxe feels exactly like the Standard so if you feel like you really want the Deluxe that is not an issue. The only problem I can see about ordering is a lot of people say Fenders vary in quality so you could get stuck with something that is not as nice as it could be.
  9. Depending on what sound you're after and such, tat is... -I like the standard better, because it's a standard! The active Fenders I've tried all lack the distinctive "Fender-sound"... EMG pickups are too clinical and unpersonal to me. You could try to find an old, used Jazz too. Change the bridge to a Badass, get the frets and action set up, and you're ready to rock !
    I've tried a couple of Jazz Bass 5's, and I didn't like them at all ! They didn't sound like a Fender, and were not very "playable"...
  10. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA
    Do not just order a Fender Jazz bass(or any Fender bass)!

You should just take a road trip to a bigger store and play before you buy. When I bought my American Standard Jazz, the store had six of the same model on the floor. I played each one and bouhgt the one that played best according to feel and depth of tone. I'm telling you, the quality of the the instruments I played that day were GREATLY variant.
  11. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I don't think ordering a fender is a problem. Every Mexican Fender that I've played, that has been made in the past 2 years has been of very good quality. Not the American quality but still very good. The Mexican products have only gotten better. 2001 models are shielded and have nice knobs and the pickups cancel each others hum. Squiers are a different story. I've seen some good ones but today I saw one that had enough room for a couple of credit cards in the neck joint between the body and the neck. The Mexican PBass Special I tried was amazing.
  12. To Groovedude:
    The reason I like EMG's for the MIM Fender Jazz is because they are active, plus they are very full and even sounding. I think Barts sound best with a preamp, which will set you back more cash. I have owned over 50 basses and all the EMG equiped basses sounded great live and in the studio. While I can relate to the "clinical" comments, I would say if you're looking for a vintage/raw sound, EMG's are not the pickups to go with. If you're looking to change a bad sounding instrument to one that can be played in the studio, go with EMG's. They WILL improve the sound of a MIM jazz 100%.