1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which filter for Low Passin'?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Maxon AF-9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EHX QTron+

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Barge Concepts Grinder

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. EBS Wah One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Robot Factory Meatwad

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Other....

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  7. Carrots

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    So I've narrowed it down to the following:

Maxon AF-9
    EHX QTron+
    Barge Grinder
    Robot Factory Meatwad (currently 1st on my list so far)
    EBS Wah One

The Meatwad is 1st due to size and number of switches and knobs. The EBS is second since I can stick the pedal in one position (prolly fwd for on/offing, and set the sweep to reverse), and set the range. Unfortunately the EBS is also larger compared to most of the others (except maybe the grinder). They all fall w/in the 250-450 dollar range (MSRP, from what little searching I did on MF and such).

I'm basically looking for something that I can set on a LPF mode and park the filter at a certain position.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Well, the important consideration is whether you simply want a Low Pass Filter or a Low Pass Envelope Follower.

I can't speak to the Wah One, but the rest of these are (or can be set as) Low Pass Envelope Followers. So while they can be set up such that the envelope doesn't trigger, you won't have precise control of the cutoff frequency. The Meatball clones may give you that with expression control, but the other two won't.

3. Doesn't Moog make a killer low pass filter? I remember hearing a clip and thinking it was schweet.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yes. I think Dan's trying to avoid the Moog.

And I also just pooted.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Have you thought about maybe the BYOC 440? Considerably cheaper than a Meatball clone, which seems like overkill if you don't need most of the features.

6. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I'd say if the robot factory meatwad is no.1 on your list then go with the barge grinder. You may have to wait a month or two, but I love my grinder's never ending versatility and extremely high quality, the latter of which I don't think can be said about the robot factory stuff. You're already dropping 320 on a pedal, what's another 80 in the long term?

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you're right - I had a wahOne and despite poorly worded descriptions on the EBS site, it does NOT do envelope following. Your ankle could get REAL tired trying to get it to found like an envelope filter. I don't know if this will apply to the upcoming Stanwah, but I assume that it won't do envelope following either - it's a multimode WAH.

I voted "other" and I recommend the EBS BassIQ. If lowpass is the only mode you are interested in (which makes sense for many bass players), I don't see a reason to get anything fancier.

8. +1 - the BYOC has a fixed wah mode where you can just turn a knob to set the filter at a certain point, and the filter stays static. As for the envelope mode, I am finding it to very peaky so far, but maybe that's because I'm playing an active bass.

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :meh: unfortunately that's sortof what I figured the case would be.....

The one thing that has the EBS so high up the list is the fact that the range control would be precise enough for me. If I would have to use an EXP pedal with the Meatwad to get the same thing (but have to try and park the pedal midway, unless I find another option...) then the EBS would be the smaller of the 2 setups.

After that thread where someone couldn't get an EXP to work properly with something from robot factory, and, since the EBS is already cheaper than the wad Im almost leaning closer to the EBS :meh:

Yes. Heard bad things about the bypass. As much as I usually ignore things like that and assume they're overblown, there seems to be a rather large amount of complaints about it.

Thanks. Now, would you be kind enough to open a window ;)

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    here's the thing about the moog: you can put it in a bypass loop

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :meh: But i'd like to be able to control the knee freq of the LPF at least a little and if what BigO says applies across the board, then the BassIQ is out due to no exp control and such.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Id rather not. Im already gonna have a loop for the Peaker to blend it, and Im not really into loops that only loop.

Plus the moog is fairly big already, why take up more space?

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Dod FX25?

14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    do you have the wahone and bassIQ confused? if you could live with bending down to tweak the threshold, I think it would work for you - expression control can make decisions way more complicated

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Band pass.

Unless I'm confusing threshold with something other than the voltage level that opens the filter.....?

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    3 Leaf Audio Groove Regulator. [/thread]

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Moog is not true bypass, but I like its tone. If you are worried about shielding then put a few brass sheets inside the wood; personally I haven't had to do this. But yes, its footprint is relatively large. (About the same size as the old EHX BMS)

Of the ones you listed I'd go with the EBS, since the BassIQ was my second choice to the moog.

18. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    well, yes. it adjusts the voltage level that opens the filter, allowing you to control the amount of highs cut with your fingers

19. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Mine was the total opposite - it was very subtle under envelope control, too subtle for me. I didn't build it though, and never looked inside. Maybe there was something not quite right in there.

20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Nope, those are my experiences as well. Probably the most tame filter I've come across.