which finger do u pop with?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FLEABITE, Apr 25, 2001.

Which finger do u pop with?

Poll closed May 5, 2001.
  1. Index

17 vote(s)
  2. Middle

12 vote(s)
  3. Ring

3 vote(s)
  4. Pinkie

1 vote(s)
  5. None, I don't/can't slap

6 vote(s)

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I use my little finger (pinkie).
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    One vote for "I don't slap/pop." I did once, at a show. I'm not particularly good at it, and I don't really care for the style all that much. Of course, Larry Graham is the exception to this rule.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The technique I've been using the most is double pops, which requires my index and middle fingers. But didn't want to start bitching about that not being a selection, so I stuck with index.
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I usually pop with my ring finger, but occasionally with my index or middle..
  5. Index. i once hurt my pinky like hell popping with it. I don't like using it anyway, so it doesn't matter.
  6. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I use all of my fingers for popping because I pop out chords.
  7. at first i used the ring but lately i use the middle more, just instinctually. i guess it's stronger.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I mean when you pop only ONE string, which finger do u use.
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I find it most comfortable and practical to use my middle finger on the G and my index for the others. This allows me to do triplet rakes and offers more speed when needed.
  10. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    I use my middle finger mainly because it can move like a buggar! I have tried with my 'pinkie' but it is unrealiable when I want to do quick popping.
  11. I voted middle finger, because that's what I started out with. It's my strongest finger, so I thought "it's only natural, right?" :D
    Well, then I started experimenting with faster popping & stuff, and implemented my index finger for 2-finger popping.
    I'm still not very good at it. :D:p
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I alternate between my index and my middle finger. I also do a triplet slap technique I use my index, middle and ring finger.

Will C.:cool:
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Index finger.

I add middle (and ring) finger for double (and triple) stops.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    The results are more or less as I expected. Does anyone use their pinkie to pop, other than me!?!!
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    All. Depends on the string.
  16. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    i use my first three fingers (index, middle, ring) to pop. i'm getting pretty good at double and triple pop-chain thingies, which will sound a lot better if i can get my pinkie working..
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When popping one string, I use my ring finger. Just feels natural to me.

When going for triplets I will use index, middle, ring, and will occasionally use the pinky.

And of course let's not forget the thumb on 'fingernail underneath the string upstrokes' when doing double thumbing.
  18. is your pinkie stronger than the rest of you fingers or something?

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Yep. I've never used any other finger to pop with, just fells natural to me. Most people say to me "Owwww, your little finger, thats too painful, mines not strong enough" so I posted this poll to see if anyone else can use it.
  20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I decline to vote because both my index and middle fingers are important in my popping technique. I use my index for the D string and my middle for the G string. (5 string bass) :)