1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which finger do you use for popping?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Do you use the middle or index finger? Or, do you use the middle finger for the G string and the index finger for the D string?

I've used only the index finger but now I'm experimenting with middle for the G and index for the D...

2. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    I use index on any string that isn't the G string. I use my middle finger for that

3. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    When I pop a cap, it's always the index.

Same on the bass.

4. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    both alternating usually

5. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Index.

6. I started many years ago with pinky and the one beside it for G and D. Over the years I corrected myself for index on D and middle on G. Or, index on A and middle on D.

7. Engagechad

Engagechad

Sep 3, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I do index, but that's mainly because I'm soooo amateur when it comes to slapping that it's just what I feel comfortable with.. I can barely do anything other than octaves at this point.. :p

8. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    For me at the moment just index and thumb, I like to be able to lock the hand and just use wrist motion to switch strings but to double up I'm using the thumb to follow the index on the same string, I do wish I had Alain Carons technique together though, maybe in a year or 3 :)

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Index but I'm learning to utilize the middle finger!

10. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Middle. Never use my index.

11. FrankeR

FrankeR

Aug 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I use all my fingers except the pinky which is not strong enough yet.
    It is quite nice to have three fingers to be able to pop with if one gets sore or if you wanna do some fast line.

12. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Middle mainly but index for double pops.

13. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i started using my middle finger only ....then i got wise to the tech of using your index on the D string and your middle on the G string!

14. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Thumb down,up index, middle and I tried to incorporated the ring finger as well.

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    index, middle and ring.

16. +1

Whichever one is closest at the time.:D

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021