1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which finish for a spalted maple top?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr M, Aug 4, 2003.

1. What would you suggest to use on a spalted maple top bass for finishing? Any natural oil or some finish to not to change the characteristics of the wood?

I hesitated if this thread belongs to setup but OK if it's not you can kick it (please be nice :) )

Thank you

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Spalted maple is at least partially rotten and very porous. I don't think it would be advisable to use anything but hard lacquer on it.

3. This isn't necessarily true. Spalting can be as mild as a simple "staining" of the wood or as extensive, as you've pointed out, as literally rotten. Though I've never used any in a bass, I would think that the former version would be the type used in instruments rather than the latter.

Tried & True varnish oil is among the best stuff available. This is a true honest-to-god boiled linseed oil that won't get sticky, turn rancid, or smell for ages after application. When it hardens you've got a very nice finish that will really bring up the beauty in your wood choice. After that, if it's needed, you can even put a clear coat over the completely cured oil like Brooks suggested.