Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which finish to order on an Fender FMT 5, let's see your pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Sep 15, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm ordering an FMT 5, due to mid priced GAS. I'm not sure if I want a amber, crimson red, or aged cherry sunburst. I know that it's kind of a crapshoot on ordering these basses because you don't know what kind of figured top you'll ultimately end up with until the bass finally arrives.

From what I've seen in a few pics on the Net, it seems like the quilted tops come in the aged cherry sunburst finish and the flamed tops come in the amber and crimson finishes. I prefer the quilted top.

Let's see some pics from you TBers who have FMTs. I'm still trying to figure what to order on Monday.

thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like amber quilt. This is the best one I've seen.

[​IMG]

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    best i've seen too :D

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Munjibunga,

Yours is one of the best that I've seen, as far as highly figured quilting on an FMT! it's right up there with a Sadowsky quality top.

Was there a trick to scoring that particular bass?

The guys at the local Fender dealer say that they can't make a special request for a highly quilted top, they have to take whatever Fender sends to them. A guy that I talked to over the phone at MF said the same thing, only diff is that they're dealing with someone in their own warehouse in Kansas. The MF guys in Kansas aren't going to go look for a bass that suits my particular desires; they're just going to grab a box off the shelf and send it out.

5. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    There is no correlation between type of finish and quilt vs. flame. Munji's amber is quilt and I've seen quite a few cherrybursts with flame and just one with quilt. It seems like most of the FMT's are showing up with flame maple tops and some of them are pretty weak looking with uneven amounts of flame...YMMV...get a used Lakland for the same price - it will kill an FMT.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a used Lakland... nice bass. It doesn't kill my FMT. They get along rather nicely.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I saw it, I bought it. It had been on the wall at GC for only two days, and it wasn't going to last long. The salesman knew he had me when my eyes glassed over while I was playing it. I did my best to play it cool, you know, "I'm not really looking for a bass," "My wife would throttle me," "Give me a couple minutes to go call my wife," "Boy, she's not a happy camper, and that price still sounds like too much," "blah, blah, blah."

Ended up getting it for $1,462 against a $2,399 list. That's OK. But I won't be seeing my black Pedulla T-Bolt any time soon.

By the way, that "Get a used Lakland" idea is not a bad one.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Munji, you got a great deal on that one.

PD's quilted maple is what I'm looking for except in a 5.

As far as Lakland's, I had one with the exact top that I'm looking for in an FMT. My 55-94 Deluxe with Barts was really nice, but the tone didn't appeal to me. I sold it for $1,600 last year. So, Extreme is right on the money as far as pricing. But as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. I prefer my MTD 535 and F Bass over a Lakland 55-94, with Barts anyway. I never got to try one with SDs.

I believe that my old Lakland is with its happy new owner somewhere in Colorado.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Many in here will not believe this, but I've seen MTD 535s in this forum for which I would trade one of my Laklands.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I believe it Munji. "Different strokes" is cool with me...

I know a guy that turns his nose up at any 5 string, and he prefers his P Bass strung with dead flat wounds over any MTD, Fodera, F Bass, Alembic, Roscoe, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc.

and I respect him for that.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    bump.

anymore pics?

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I really like the aged cherry......

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks Brad,

I was hoping you'd post yours. We've heard a bit about that cool jazz FMT from you in previous threads.

Here's one that I found on the Net...

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    bump, one more time around...