1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which first jazz bass under $1000????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, May 16, 2004.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here are my choices:

1. Geddy Lee jazz
    2. Lakland Darryl Jones
    3. Fender MIJ 75RI jazz (I "discovered" this particular model last week, browsing TB forums. I found a picture of a beautiful white jazz, w. rosewood fretboard and abalone block inlays and loved it, are they still made or sold anywhere asise from ebay??????)

The Geddy seems to be a good and affordable choice but I don't like that it can only be had in black and maple fretboard. But the reviews have been very positive on the GL. I wont be able to try any of those bassses before buying cause here in PR no store carries Lakland nor that specific Fender models. I just want a solid good jazz bass and I love the block inlays on these basses. I own a Stingray5, Skyline 55-01, and Epi T-bird.

I love my Lakland and that's why I know that the DJ will be a great bass, but it's also $1000+. And on the other hand I've always wanted a Fender jazz. I just want to know your opinions about any or all of these three basses. I play mainly rock and I like tight and punchy low-mids with smooth highs.

Any help is welcome,
    Thanks in advance...

2. I've tried them all. I realize that the Daryl Jones is more expensive than the Fenders, but it's also better. Much better. So that's what I think you should get. However, from the sound you say you are looking for, it seems like a precision bass might be the best choice? I don't know. You'll definitely love the Daryl Jones if you get it, though.

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    save a bit more and get a Valenti. They look sweet and built by a fellow TBer

4. i haveto agree with jazzrounder, the lakaland is absolutely amazing!!

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Lakland!

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    +1 for Valenti

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +2 for Valenti

8. +3

You can look at one of his Jazzes on the main basses page.
    Asolutely Beautiful. Truly a work of art. Rock on Nino!

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I really was leaning toward the Lakland. I know it's more expensive but being an 55-01 Skyline owner, I know the quality they give for the $$$.
    I gonna probably buy a pre/power amp setup pretty soon and I'll get back to the jazz bass in a while.

I just wanted to get your impresssions on which would be better. I saw a Valenti bass here in TB and it was beatiful, but I'd like to get a more known brand, not taking anything away from the those Valentis.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice.
    Turn up the bass.
    Peace...