1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which flats? and why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WallyN, Oct 17, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi there, I am in love with flats but have never actually bought any. I purchased a used MIM Classic 50's P and the owner had just put on some new flats for me. They are amazing.

Anyway I just picked up a 2011 American standard that I want to put flats on. Which do you recommend and why?

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    What kind of sound are you looking for?
    Different flats for different styles.

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It's a personal thing, but I'll recommend Chromes as a great versatile string that can sound either thumpy or bright.

I'm actually looking for the reverse - a good set of rounds that can also get the strong fundamental of a flat.

4. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    well I play mostly classic rock, some heavy metal. Zeppelin, Sabbath AC/DC. I play finger style and attack quite hard, the flats on my classic 50 sounds aggressive without the string noise of rounds.

5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    All subjective and my opinion of course....

TI's - very bright and low tension - my favorites
    Chromes - initially bright, but mellow out and last forever - very versatile. Close 2nd behind the TI's.
    RS 77's - very bright and awesome for 5 minutes, then die and thump (don't like)...very high tension

Thats my experience with flats, take it for what it is worth.

Good Luck!

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I would suggest fender flats.
    They have a bright growl at first and once they settle in they have a very authoritative tone to them IMO

7. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Agree with Smeet, Chromes are a great entry into Flats, also i think shawshank72 is correct, i hear great things about fender flats...may have to try a set myself!

8. For more thumpy and less bright: LaBellas. I like them much better than Chromes for that reason.

I understand Pyramids are also more old school like the LaBellas, but quite expensive (as are TI's).

9. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Apr 8, 2013
    Absolutely Fender flats. That is what I use and they would be the BEST choice for metal or anything edgy.

10. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    I have used several brands of flats; here is my opinion on different flats for different tones.

-I'd say the best thump/Motown sound would be LaBella Deep Talkn' Flats. Medium tension.
    -My second favorite thump/Motown string is the Sadowsky flats. They may be made by LaBella also, but not sure. They are good, but I'd just assume grab the LaBella DTFs.

-For brighter mid-range dominant tone would be the TI's. They are bright, so bright that they almost do the round wound sound with the tone on the bass all the way up. Very low tension, but super easy to play on once you make the adjustment.

-For an in between, I agree with smeet, I'd go with chromes. Chromes get less love around here, but I believe that it's only because they are common. They can be bought at any GC, and they don't break the bank, so many guys don't regard them as highly as LaBella or TI. They do a nice bright tone, or a good thump, but not as bright or thumpy as the respective brands above. They are the highest tension of the ones that I have mentioned, but they play very nice.

11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    On the bandstand I have never had better luck than with GHS Precision Flats. They never get lost in the mix. In the practice room they are not my favorite sounding string but that doesn't matter.

If you only play in your practice room I would use either LaBellas or Fenders.

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Try these for the reasons stated, above.

TI = Thomastik-Infeld T-I JAZZ Flatwound.
    Chromes = D'Addario Chromes.
    RS 77 = Rotosound RS 77.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Chromes are by far my favorite flats, though I've pretty much given up on flats. They're bright when new but lose it when they go dead. I also like the increased mid content. I've also tried LaBellas (love the thump but hate that really piercing treble response and the lack of mids compared to Chromes), GHS (could be talked into using them if they came in a super light gauge like Chromes), Rotos (like them but wasn't happy about their relative lack of smoothness), and TI Jazz Flats (some folks absolutely are in love with them...I'm not. If I wanted roundwound sound, I would have bought rounds...and they're impossible to make go dead).

14. I'm interested to know more info about some of the lesser reviewed flats out there.
    Curt Mangan flats. They come in one gauge .45 to .105 and a five string set with a .125 B. I've searched and haven't found any detailed info about them. I think they are steel. How about the core, is it round or hex? Do they sound bright or thumpy?
    Another one I can't recall anyone mentioning are Black Diamond flats. If somebody has tried either of these, please enlighten us.

15. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    I love the Fender 9050's. To bad they are not making them anymore, although some online sellers still have them - like bassstringsonline

16. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    What flats? Get those. If you don't know, maybe we can guess from the color.

17. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    TI Jazz Flats for my lull because tone
    Labella Deep Talkin Flats on my P because Jamerson

18. brainburst

brainburst

Jan 10, 2012
    bronx ny
    I love the lower tension feel and subtle blossoming of the tone. closer to bright flats than pure flats. Recently however I purchased two sets and string to string brightness is not even. The E A are as usual , but the D/G thunky like regular flats. I like both tones but not on the same bass. Anyone with the same experience recently?

19. SpruceGoose54

SpruceGoose54

May 21, 2013

20. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Fender 9050 for me, all the clarity and brightness of rounds with a percussive flatwound attack. I gotta grab myself a couple sets if they really are discontinued.