1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which flats for an ATK?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jul 23, 2012.

1. So,

I'm back to playing my '95 Ibby ATK300 again. It's got some ratty EB Slinkys on it now that really NEED to be changed.

I've switched to Flats on my Jazz and Flats and/or Half-Rounds on my Ps... so these days, tactile-y speaking, i'm more comfortable with flats.

I haven't really been able to find anything discussing flats for an ATK specifically, but i HAVE seem some talk about flats on Stingrays... which is similar... and the consensus i've seen is that Chromes are a good fit.

If anyone has any input, i'd love to hear it!

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Used Chromes on my ATK700 for the 2+ years it was my main gigging bass. I thought they worked great!

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The new Fender 9050CL or the Chromes 50-105 set would be nice.

I'm a fan of those, as well as the Sadowsky 45-105 set.

Don't count out TI Jazz Flats-- unlike any other string.

I have liked every one of these on my various Stingrays over the years.

4. So, i tried some Chromes i had lying around on the ATK... it was a bit 'meh'. But they were only .095 gauge, and i'm use to .105 or .110... so i think the tactile awkwardness was a big factor.

Tone-wise, i liked it enough to invest in some heavier Chromes, so... we'll see!

Thanks.