1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Flats for P/J Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I have a jazz bass with P/J pickups. I like the round fat neck pickup a lot, but sometimes use the jazz pickup for some punchy lines. Anyways, this bass is used mainly for playing jazz standards. Currently I have Thomastik-Infield flatwounds on it, in fact they have been on there for a good 5 years! LOL
    I was thinking about trying some different flatwounds on it. Anyone have a suggestion?

2. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    TI Flats: Haven't tried them, but there's a huge following of them on these forums.

Chromes: The flats I have on my P, and I get huge tonal versatility out of these for flats. Fat, swampy, thumpy, laser-like, funky, sweet, whatever. Very wide range of usable sounds, imo.

3. +1 for the Chromes
    I've been real happy with Chromes on all 3 types of bass -- P, P/J and J. They sound great and last forever.

4. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks, Which brand are you all talking about on the chrome strings?

5. d'addario Chromes

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The only flats fit for my consumption are TI Jazz and D'Addario Chromes. Right now, it's Chromes, though I have a well-worn set of TIs in the bag as backup.

7. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    When I say laser-like, I mean like I pluck it and it sounds like "wAAAAAAAAHHHHHH..." without much of an attack but not finger noisy. I tried a long time to get that sound and finally did. How are the TI flats, by the way? If I take the Chromes off of my bass can I keep them somewhere and put them back on if I don't like the TI's?

8. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Which gauge of the chromes do you use? I looked and they have a lighter gauge and a heavier gauge. Also, did anyone ever use LaBella stainless flatwounds?

9. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I used the heaviest gauge I could find, which work fantastic for me. Never tried LaBellas.

10. Not everyone will agree with me, but Labella flats are pretty much the best flatwound string for a P bass in my opinion. I play in a classic rock/country/variety band and they work for all that stuff. They are just plain awesome. I use the set with the .109 E string and they feel great and sound great. I'm just about to say goodbye to roundwound strings...

11. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    +1 on the LaBellas, I use the .109 (med) and the.105 (standard). They also come in a lighter and heavier gauge. I'd think that lighter might be better for Jazz.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Chromes +1

13. I have Chromes, Fender 9120, 7120 and Webstrings flats on my basses.......just hit and miss which one has what.

I Just got an american Deluxe Precision and it had the original boingy fender strings, 7120s and now has heavy Webstrings flats. They kick ass. they are on two SX basses I have and when the Jag, Jazz P jr are ready they will probably get them too. Oh the Dean Acoustic has them in Med.

I really like them! Not exceptionally cheap - but well priced.

14. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I find Chromes too "roundwound" sounding for most of my basses although they are getting slightly better with age.

I have stopped using the LaBella 760FL's because they seem to lack mids.

TI flats have my favourite sound but I wish they had a little more tension.

I've just put on a set of Elites flats on my 75RI jazz and I like the tone and the tension. A friend of mine has these on his Precision and they sound fantastic after they've been on a year or so !

15. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    which ever ones you find most appealing to your ear, and the mix of music your doing.....

16. d'addario chromes. i have them on my Jazz and my Precision, so I'm guessing they would sound great on a PJ.

17. ghs precision flats on a jazz bass and i love them, especially after a month

18. I've got Chromes on my Lakie JO4 and my Geddy Lee... I love them...A very "smooth" feel to the fingers. They have good brightness for the highs, and provide a good thump at the bottom.

I use LaBella Flats on my P-Bass... Almost makes me feel like Jamerson.... almost .. :) Again very smooth feel to the fingers ..

I've used Rotosound 77's. The sound was good. To my ear it's a string that accentuates the high end... For me, I didn't like the winding.. It's much closer to a roundwound in finger feel.. IMO

19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Lakland's Joe Osborn set. I tried two sets of TI flats and while I liked the sound (albeit it's not really much of a traditional flatwound sound), the way they felt under my right hand was just too floppy. I used Fender 850s back in the olden days (when all Fender bass shipped with a set of 850s) and the newer Fender flats are similar, but much more stiff and twangy sounding. Hated 'em, just hated them. I love the Lakland flats because they're still supple while having some resistance to my plucking (I use the medium set 45-105 or thereabout). They have that nice defined thump on the bottow but they have a definite note too. I used a set of LaBella Old Originals (now called the Jamerson set) decades ago, and while they were very nice when I was practicing all by myself, they never seemed to fit into a band mix because there wasn't enough note definition. The Lakllands give me a nice punchy definite note without the bite I get from roundwounds.

I beleive the GHS Precision Flats are the same or very similar to the Lakland ones.

jte

20. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I ordered the d'addario chromes, heavy gauge. I wonder if I'll have to adjust the harmonics with the heavier gauge?