Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which flats have longest sustain?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jojo99, Oct 20, 2005.

1. jojo99

jojo99

Oct 18, 2005
    Just wanting to pick some brains about flatwounds...I've been using TI Flats for over a year now, and am pretty happy with them (although my intonation is off on the first three frets of all strings for some reason...wear?) but I'd like a touch more sustain out of a flatwound. My right hand is pretty versatile, so I can get thump if I want it... but I'd like the option of getting more sustain, particularily out of the E string. I guess I'm really looking for the most roundwoundy-sustaining flat out there.. any suggestions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    TI's are by far the most sustain you can get out of a flatwound. They ring even more than half-rounds or pressure wounds.

3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

My experience with flats is limited to 6 different brands, the one I have found to be the most roundwoundy-sustaining, are the D'Adarrio Chromes.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Same here; but I'm biased, Chromes are my favorite strings.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of guys recommended Chromes to me when I asked a simlar question...having gigged my Lakland Hollowbody with Lakland flats on it, I'm happy with them, and won't change them immediately. They have a nice combination of thump/fundamental, sustain, and bright...

Try the SIT grounds....

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I used chromes for awhile and was really happy with them, but they are too high tension for me. After some experimenting with half-rounds and such I settled on TI Jazz Flats, and I love them. They have great sustain, better than the chromes in my ears, and are more comfortable to play on. They are warmer and less thuddy, which is just a personal taste issue.

7. I've been playing the same set of TI Flats for almost 5 years. They sustain well (except on Fender dead spots), but I have no "thump" from these strings. The TI Flats are strong in the mids and have great clarity.

I suspect sustain vs thump is mutually exclusive.

My research indicates the DA Chromes and Labella Deep Talkin' Flats are more inclined toward thump, which is what I want from my P bass.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Which set did you use? They come in a light set.

My biggest complain with ALL flatwound sets on the market have always been that [for me] the G&D are too tight and the E&A are either just right or too floppy. My solution was to make up my own set but ordering them as singles from juststrings.com which ended up to be 40 60 80 100 & 130 chromes, it really is amazing on how much more even they feel. I like IT as well but they feel to soupy to me on the E&A for any thing other than slap 'n' pop and OX tap.