1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which flats? I tried Dean MArkley's in Blue pack-not that impressed.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rodl2005, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Which sort do U reccomend- I'm playin mainly blues,jazz, some old motown & old RnB. After doin a search I find that some reckon the flats take a few MONTHS to sound right????:eek: I started using falts back in the day-then rounds came out & thats what I've used ever since.
    Are the Dean Markleys meant to be -as I find- unresponsive & lifeless, or should I let em stay on longer- I've only had 'em a month or so-gigging once or twice a week.
    Thanx,
    Rod.

2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Around here where i live,
    alot of the blues guys are using
    Thomastik Infeld jazz flats,jf 344's,
    these require some getting use to
    but well worth the effort,there hard
    to describe,to me they sound like
    mellow rounds,i have two basses
    with these on both...

hope this helps some

EB/

3. Thats weird, Dean Markley advertises their flatwounds to be exceptionally bright for a flatwound. I was going to snag a set of the dean markley flats for my Pbass but now i'm not so sure. Some people on here consider D'addario chromes to be rather bright for flatwounds, you could try those.

4. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Almost went with the DM's the other day. Seems to be conflicting info on them. Bright with longer sustain or dead as a brick? And what gauge are the set you use? Tension?

5. The Thomastic flats seem to be favored among many....
    The Dean M.'s MAY BE FINE & I'm just NOT used 2 flats-in fact thats a given.... seeing as I haven't used 'em on my elecs since the '70's- But I DID think they were not very exciting! I might put 'em on again- onto my PJ custom- & give 'em a few months try. Thanx for the replies.
    Rod.

6. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    It seems like the only flats I hear of are TI jazz flats and ... wait ... no, that's it. Just TI.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm a big fan of flats and for the most part I use ... You guessed it TI Jazz flats.

I also have a set of GHS Brite Flats on a Tribbie L2K I recently acquired. They are higher tension and a little less ringy. They do the motown thing nicely. The tribute seems to have a really stiff neck and doesn't mind the higher tension at all. It's a nice pairing.

In the past I've used the D'Addario Chrome flat and liked it. Higher tension than the TI's, a little more 'steely / ringy' than the very woody TI. I did some dubby stuff on an old L1K strung with Chromes and it turned out huge.

TI's are pretty low tension being guaged .043 through .100. That menas setup work for some basses. I've grown fond of the lower tension though. They play really nicely.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

With the music you're playing, I'd go directly to Labella Deep Talkin' flats. I play surf and some of the music you do, and I've come to swear by them. To my ear, they do the best job of creating the sound in the originals you describe. In a couple of cases, the Labellas have vastly improved the sound of a bass when I've installed them.

And they cost a LOT less than TIs.

9. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I totally, totally forgot about these.

10. Thanx again guys--- Will try some Labella Deep talkin flats ASAP. TA,
    Rod.

11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    +1 on the chromes. They retain a brightness in addition to the flatwound tone underneath that.

The TI flats neither feel nor sound like a flat. They sound excellent. Just not like a flat. More midrange going on. They are very low tension. Too low for my tastes.

12. the TI flats DO sound interesting tho!!! Pity dang shops here don't carry any except the Dean Markleys (Marklar-who- Marklar!!) will have to see about all 3 of these-TI's, LaBELLA DT flats AND Daddario Chromes!
    Thanks.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    TI Jazz Flats. You'll never go back to sheep.

14. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I bought a 5 string set of the Dean Markley flats a couple years ago. I was also enticed by their advertising as a bright string. They actually turned out to be the deadest-sounding flats I've heard besides LaBellas. Also--the B string broke at the tuner while I was bringing it up to pitch.:scowl:

That said, I actually like them on 4 string basses. They're smooth and tight and sound great with a pick. I have a lot of experience with TI Flats (love 'em) and I recently put D'Addario Chromes on my fretless--definitely bright and singing as advertised.

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    D'Addario Chromes work for me. On a 4-string I love GHS Precision flats (very Jamersonian and inexpensive).

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021