1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which flats on a Ric tuned to Eb, Sadowsky or Roto 77's?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Feb 13, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    OK....someone please hook a brother up.... I have a set of DR flats and set of Rotosound 77 flats.... I want to put one of the sets on a Ric that I tune down to Eb. I have heard that the Rotos are a bit stiff and the Sadowskys are lower tension. To my thinking, the Rotos would be better on a bass tuned down a half step since they are higher tension. any thoughts?

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I would choose the Rotos, the tension would be perfect in Eb(IMO) and they have a bite that I think sounds great on Ricks. Listen to some Deep Purple if you want an idea of what they'll sound like.

3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Cool man! Thanks I did not know that. I will be hitting iTunes when I get home.

4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Put the Roto 77's on my 2010 Mapleglo 4003 and I love it. Tuned down to Eb the tension feels perfect and I love the tone. Can't wait to gig it this weekend and see how they sit in the mix.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Glad to hear, rock on!

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    The Rotos set very well in the mix. They are way more out front in the mix than the LaBella's for sure and I needed to dial in the low mids on my rig to get the bottom I was looking for but I just loved the sound of my bass with these strings. So now to see how long they last, how they age and if I can handle them tension wise tuned to pitch.

7. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Jan 15, 2006
    I tune down a full step, and just threw 110 gauge Roto 77s on my Jazz. They definitely have the tension I was looking for, and I might even be able to manage with 105s. Definitely a fan of how they sound as well, though I'm going to need to wait two weeks to see how they sit in the mix due to a business trip.