Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which flats would you choose if you couldn't use TI's?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slater, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I tried some TI Jazz Flats on a friends bass. I really liked how they sounded, but the tension was just too low for my playing style.

So, I was wondering what TI Flat lovers would make as their 2nd choice?..

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Chromes.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    LaBella Tapewounds. Check them out at www.carvin.com

They are actually roundwounds, but have tape wrapped around them. They sound more like flatwounds, but not dull like typical flatwounds. They are brighter but not brash like typical roundwounds.

Very smooth. If I hadn't gotten the TI Jazz Flats I would have kept the LaBella tapewounds on. They had been on my bass for two years and sounded like the day I put them on.

Great strings.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit ambivalent about TIs - I much prefer Fender 9050Ms.

5. My second choice to the TI Jazz flats has been the D'Addario Chrome flats. At present, I have one bass strung with the TI's and another with the DA's. Also, I have a spare set of TI's in my bag to use on either bass.

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Another vote for Chromes.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Labella Deep Talking steel flats. Really deep but still articulate. If you didn't like the low tension of the TI's the you'll live the high tension of the LaBellas

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks for the replies so far!

Also, FWIW, although I didn't like the low tension of the TI's, I'm not really looking for the extreme opposite. :)

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I get along fine with Fender 9050 flats. Gonna try the TI next time around.

tk

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use D'Addario Chromes... TI flats are IMO too expensive. especialy since i dont have a job/steady income.

11. Second that!!

12. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Yep I like the Labellas.

13. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Rotosound

RS 77 jazzbass

14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    LaBella Deep Talkin Flats or D'Addarrio Chromes.

15. I haven't seen Pyramid Golds mentioned yet. Pricey, but reputed to have lots of fundamental and a long life.

I've been playing the same set of TI Flats on my P-Bass for nearly 3 years now. They still sound the same as they did when new... clean, clear, and strong in the mids.

I'm yearning for more of that deep fundamental on my P, so will be looking forward to trying those mentioned above.

16. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    The pyramids are nice. I have them on my Hofner Club bass. The store that I bought mine from got a couple of bad sets from pyramid. My a string never felt stable and broke after two weeks. I also broke an E string on another set, so beware of spotty quality control. I am going to try the Rotosound short scale flats as my next Hofner string. They are a little stiffer than the floppy pyramids.

17. I sent a request to LaBella for the total tension on their Deep Talking Flat #760FM (0.049 ~ 0.109).

The Jamerson set is 197 pounds, so I'm thinking the DTF will be a bit less. Compare this to the 140 pounds of TI Jazz Flats...

18. Tbass66

Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    The Chromes are about the closest to the TI's you can get..try the 40-95 set..not too floppy but but not to tight either and similar in tone

19. I'm thinking the TI tone isn't what I'm looking for in my P-bass. It seems very middy, and very little of that deep authority that I want my P+flats to have.

I'll move the TI flats over to my fretless, no sense in letting them go to waste. 3 years use... they are just broken in now.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT flats for me... the real flats with the black silk wrapped ends, not the pressure wound ones. They're not too tight, not too loose, nice and thumpy with a bit of bite and sustain.