Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which flatwound has longer sustain?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eunchang, Aug 7, 2004.

1. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Hi everybody. I am currently using a set of GHS flatwound on my 4 string. This is my first set of flatwound and overall I like them. They feel better with less string noise. On my bass I can still get usable slap tone and I kinda like the stiffer feel too(oh yes I changed the string height and neck bow to accommodate...it took some time).

The only problem I have is they don't have enough sustain. Because I don't have 17 basses to fulfill all my needs(I have two ;) ), I need my main 4 string bass to be versatile. Now it works great for funk and jazz, however when I play church gig and for the slow songs..I play whole notes but they decay so quickl sounding like half notes... :rollno:

So my question is,

which flatwound strings has better sustain? It doesn't have too be really thumpy. I like the feel of flatwounds and now I am looking for the sound in between flats' and rounds' I guess.

Ah, one more thing. I feel like the intonation on E string was a bit shakey too..maybe because it is not tapered or what?

2. I used Fender flatwounds on my fretless for a while, with excellent sustain. I think that pickup height has an effect on sustain as well, but I'm not sure about that.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT PowerFlats :bassist:

4. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    How about TI's? Sounds like everybody loves TI's. Are they sound more like thumpy/dead/short decay??

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    very well liked and I still want to try some someday.

The looseness scares me off. At the price they are, I'd hate to spend the money and not be able to deal with them. I like medium to high tension, the SIT are medium (I'd prefer a set just a hair heavier).

6. I've been using TI Jazz Flats for almost two years in the "Church" environment. Various contempory styles that include Rock and slow songs. The TI's serve me well, giving great tone and plenty of sustain. I don't find them dead at all and they are thumpy enough to please me.

7. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    That is one thing I worried about. I figured that I like getting enough tension from the strings not from the string action. I prefer setting up stiffer strings low rather than having flexible strings set up high to get similar tension. Compared to roundwounds it looks like I have narrower choices.. :(

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Which guage do you use, 45 to 100 or 50 to 105?

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I ususally don't think of flats and sustain at the same time!

Maybe a set of groundwounds?

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Don't know! My first set from back in late 2002 came non retail packaged (still sounding great BTW). My other 2 sets came shipped on my benaventes. From feel I theink the E is a 100... I'll have to mic them if I think of it.

SIT Powerflats ARE groundwounds

11. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    I know what you're saying. However, just as I mentioned above, I like the "feel" of the flatwounds but still want a little bit of ringy sound. If a set of string can give me the "feel" of flats and the "sound" of rounds..yes, only if it is possible..I don't know..those will be my ideal strings. I was just wondering if there is anything like that.

12. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I find that the La Bella Deep Talking strings have a lot of sustain for flatwounds. I would say more than the Chromes and *way* more than the Dean Markley mediums (which have the sustain of a brick).

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Just got 2 new sets... 45 to 100 with a 125 B added.

14. I use the Fender Flats and they have a lot of sustain on my P-Bass. Plus they are really slick feeling, almost like sliding your fingers on glass. I don't know if the sustain is the strings or the bass, but a strongly plucked low-E will hold for more than 5 or 6 seconds. Though, I usually have the tone control at 75% on the low side. Setting the tone higher or higher notes don't sustain as long, but plenty for the classic rock stuff I play. The other good thing about the Fenders is they are pretty cheap - less than $20.

I tried the Rotosound flats recently and didn't like them at all, they seemed to stick to my fingers, especially when coming off a note. Sustain was little better on the higher notes than the Fenders, but not enough for me "stick" with them. (uh, sorry ;) )

15. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the info.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but what guage are you using?

16. I think they are the 45's (mediums).

17. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The Labella nylon wrapped have sustain because they are roundwounds under the wrapping. They and the Ti's are my favorite strings for th combination of thump (on the attack) and sustain.