Which flatwound has the least mids?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm washing my hands of TI Jazz flats and switching to something else. 4 bad strings in a row is just too much. I'm also starting to think maybe the TI middy sound isn't for me. I love it when I'm playing by myself but I don't like how it sits in the mix with other people. Does that make any sense?

This is a bit of a problem for me. I don't want to give up on the low tension of the TI's so no super high tension flats like Fenders or Jamersons. Can you guys suggest me some medium tension lowish mids flats? Right now I'm leaning toward D'addario Chromes.

Appeciate it!!!!! :)

EDIT: a question, less mids=less growl?
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'll back up the nod towards D'Addario Chromes. I used them for years but recently switched. I'm not an exclusively flatwound player, so I use the Jamerson set out of sentiment in addition to seeking the authentic Motown sound. The heavy gauge makes it easier for me to play that style.

I'm sure a degreed scientist will contradict me somewhere along the line, but I've always heard and regarded mids as more of an EQ concern as oppposed to something attached to certain brands of strings. To my ears, the D'Addarios and LaBellas I've tried don't seem to have an excessive midrange "honk" to them, if that's a help.

The phenomena of bass gear sounding one way solo on your own as compared to in a band mix is a common and maddening concern, so you're not alone there.

As far as the tension thing goes, you're going to have to accept some more tension across the board in terms of brands other than TI. Thomastiks are more internally dense than other brands, so less tension is required to get up to pitch. Chromes come in a .040 gauge which might work out fine for you.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    TI's are probably the lowest tension strings on the market, at least that i know of. I use them and haven't had any issues with them- they have been great, but they aren't for everyone.

The chromes are very good- I used them for awhile on a couple fretless basses. As far as flats go, they are more thumpy and less midrangy than others I have tried. TI's definately have more mids than chromes. One thing to know about chromes though- they are some of the highest tensioned strings I ahve ever played on. They feel stiff as a board and take all the flop out of most low B's. If you want a low-tension string, I don't advise buying a set of chromes, aprticularly becasue they are somewhat pricey.
  4. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That's another thing, some people say the chromes are basically the next step up from the TI's tension-wise and others say there really tight.

I've compared the tension b/n the TI's and D'addario Chromes. It's about 10 lb more per string on average. Is that alot?
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A couple of medium tension flats are the La Bella 760 FL and the SIT Power Flats. The power flats are ground wounds and not as smooth as other flatwounds though.

I have used .045 to .100 chromes alot (they are basically the only flatwounds available locally :( ) and I don't like the sound of the G string on the P. On my short scale Musicmaster, they sound fine. YMMV of course.
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Your flats have mids?
  7. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yessum they do.
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hmm, well ok.

Try using the flats you have, but using them longer. Old strings seem to have less mids.

I've got some LaBella black nylon ground wounds on a fretless P-bass of mine. I recently posted a thread with some clips, you can find it here.

They've got plenty of thump and minimal mids. They've also got low tension, at least compared to other strings I've had.

Give 'em a try.
  9. What kind of life span can one expect from DA Chromes and LaBella 760FL?

My TI Jazz Flats have lived more than 3 years, and still sound the same.

My P has a DiMarzio Will Power Middle installed, and I don't have any thump with the TI Flats. I have lots of mids, too much actually.
  10. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That's the conclusion I've come to as well. I've got the TI's on both my P's and it just doesn't feel right anymore. Oh well, I guess the TI sound just isn't for me. I just gotta wait til the first of next month before I can get the Chromes.
  11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    If you like the lower tension of the TI's but want a less live sounding string try the GHS black nylon tapewounds.
  12. Try Sadowsky or Lakland Flats. I have both and they are similar in tones and tensions. The Sadowsky flats I just put on this weekend and am pretty impressed. I'm not sure who makes them for Roger, but I think it might LaBella. GHS makes the Lakland Joe Osborn signature set and they are nice on my Joe Osborn.... :) Plenty of thump with these strings and the lows, mids and highs sound great. Medium tension from what I've tried.
  13. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Thanks for all the input guys :) . I just ordered a set of D'addario Chromes for my Skyline Glaub (BEAD). I think I'll be much happier. This will also be the first set of strings I've strung thru-body. I wonder if it'll make a big difference.

SMASH, out of curiousity, do you use the chromes equipped P-bass for your doom project?
  14. Smash, what is your opinion between the DA Chrome flats and LaBella DTB flats, specifically for thump?

My TIs just don't thump... my P really hasn't sounded much like a P for a long time. At first, I though it was the DP146 pickup, but now I'm more inclined to think it is the TI Jazz Flats.