1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which flatwounds for vintage sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by yannn, May 1, 2010.

1. yannn

yannn

Feb 4, 2010
    I want to try some vintage sounding flats on my J 5er.
    I thought of either LaBella or Pyramid flats. I use my B string quite often and thus I need a clear low B.
    Which ones do you prefer? Are there any soundfiles or videos to get an idea of the sound differences?

2. Chris Grzesik

Chris Grzesik

May 19, 2009
    Storrs CT
    I just bought Tomastik-Infelds for both my fretless basses and they are exceptional. The tension is loose, the sustain is great, and the sound can have the attack of a round if you like. I had rounds on both basses for a long time and was sick of them eating the board. These are a great and better replacement.

3. I use Ernie Ball's.

4. I use GHS Precision Flats.

5. +1 for vintage tone.

6. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    +1, but since I like them dead and thumpy, it takes a couple of years to get them really broken in. I just tried DR's and was a bit disappointed - I thought they were too bright.
    TI Jazz Flats sound great, but I can't deal with the low tension.

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the discontinued (or rather, revamped) Fender 9050s were the thumpiest i ever tried straight out of the package... grab a set if you can!

8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    A vintage-sounding B-string would be an anachronism.

I'm not saying 5-strings are bad, just that they are by definition modern.

P.S. I vote also for GHS Precision flats.

9. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I used TI's for years, they are great sounding once they are broken in but the low tension isn't for everyone. I also used LaBellas which I loved, they get their thump faster and the tension is a bit higher, easier to dig in when you want to. Now I use Sadowsky flats on both my P/J and my 5 string, they are awesome and when I roll off the tone they are as thumpy as I have ever experienced. They are made for Sadowsky by LaBella, but are not the same as the 760 series LaBellas. Much more consistent.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    So far, I've tried TI, Roto 77, Fender, GHS Precision, D'Addario Chromes and Pyramid Gold.

IMO/E the Pyramids are the most "vintage" by a long shot.

I've only ever tried TIs for low B and have been happy with the results. Based on my experiences, I think TI would likely cover the OP's conflicting tone goals better than anything else.

11. labella or pyramid are the most vintage i've tried, and i've tried most if not all of the flats out there (much to the chagrin of my bank account).

12. yannn

yannn

Feb 4, 2010
    I already tried TIs and they are great strings but they just don't give me that vintage thump.
    The B string doesn't have to be that clear. I just don't want it to sound like crap cause I want to use it frequently.

13. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    the low B will not sound vintage. Good vintage sounding flats are Labella, Fender (not the newest incarnations), GHS, Rotos. There are differences in the type of sound with each. ALso you need to be aware that vintage sound (the sound you hear on the old recordings) wasn't just the strings, it was the whole signal processing chain as well as the recording methods.

14. eyecandy

eyecandy

Jul 28, 2009
    La Bellas

15. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    +1

16. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    I actually quite like my Sadowskys for a vintagey sound.

17. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    of all the flats ive tried i remember the fenders being really thumpy and vintage. Just didnt like the feel and tension. Chromes a close second, after really being worn in after a year.

Currently have TI's and i love em'. Can cop the vintage sound but overall it is it's own thing. just a great combination of sound, feel and tension.

18. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    what a question. what do you think what "vintage guys" used on their "vintage" basses for the what you call "vintage".
    La bella,Roto etc... but it's not only about the strings. Vintage players (like Jamerson I.E.) wasnt used 5 strings basses.
    They also used TUBES for the "vintage" tone too.

sorry to be lil bit edgy...:bassist:
    in short: Get a P bass or J bass,put the flats on it which YOU feels best and play through Tube amp with a 15 inch speaker.

*Tempest* likes this.
  19. BassFace55

BassFace55

Sep 22, 2005
    Boston
    TI's with some soft foam rubber under the strings at the bridge

20. I thought Sadowsky flats were kind of modern