Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Flecktones Album Should I get First?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by invisiman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I searched around a bit, but I didn't find anything covering this particular subject. For some sort of helpful hint for you guys, my favourite songs that I've heard by them are Sinister Minister, and Earth Jam. Sorry for the vagueness, but that's the best I got :bag:

2. one of my favorites is Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. The title track has some cool fretless, and there's tunes like 'Blu-Bop' and 'Flying Saucer Dudes' that will leave you shaking your head. I am a fan of the earlier stuff, when it was all instrumental.

The 1st one titled 'Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' is a really good one too.

3. live art
    thats the best one imo because when i saw them in concert they played just about all those songs...it reminded me of the show...you'll enjoy it!

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    What's the sound quality like on it? I looked at it, and was impressed by the amount of music on it, but several live CD's I've come across have lackluster sound.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Live Art. It has excellent sound quality...it's not a crappy audience recording or something.

Then the self-titled or Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

brad cook

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, Live art + little worlds are my two favorites.

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Well, I'm trusting you guys, I just ordered Live Art, and I'm hopin it's some good stuff :p Anyways, thanks for all your help guys :bassist:

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    In this order:

Live at the Quick
    Little Worlds
    Live Art

The rest are boring IMO. They're great musicians but their strength has been in their live music for years. Little Worlds was done at Bela Fleck's house and sounds much more natural and relaxed.

9. IINM a fair chunk of their work since Cuckoo's Nest was done at Bela's.

Since you mention Sinister Minister, that's on their first record. I'm with Joshua-- again-- begin at the beginning.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Three Flew Over" is pretty chops-heavy. I think they were overcompensating for Levy's absence.

11. I prefer Howard Levy era Flecktones. UFO-TOFU is a good one.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Definitely Live Art or Live @ The Quick.

13. Live Art is great - so is Left Of Cool (Throw Down is awesome) - but I think my most listed to is 3 Flew Over - followed by UFO TOFU and Cosmic - the first album set high standards though and Levy is a monster on harp and piano.

I was lucky the first time I saw them live in London. they played Sinister Minister as the encore and of course Victor went supernova - the solo he did was about twice the intensity of the Live Art one - lucky bootlegged it!

14. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I got Live Art first, I'd recommend that. Great stuff.