Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Fodera?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shinster, May 6, 2003.

1. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    OK,. i know it really depends on a lot of variables, but I'm looking to purchase a Fodera.
    I want the best sounding (out of all of them) for jazz with a great slap sound.
    need help from all of you Fodera owners or just knowledgable people on Fodera's on which model and combo.. thanks!

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    theres too many variables and not enough information from you to even begin to answer this question.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Don't take this the wrong way, but ... if you don't know what the various Foderas sound like, why be so set on buying one? If it's because a musical hero of yours plays one, or because somebody told you they were the ultimate, cool, but that may not be a strong enough reason for plunking down that much $$. I mean, usually people will say, I want Brand X because it does this or that, has this or that, or sounds like this or that. But it sounds almost as if you've convinced yourself you gotta get a Fodera without knowing that much about what Foderas are like.

I'm not trying to put you down, just to suggest that before you get locked into one rather costly option, you back up a bit and think more generally about what kind of sound you want to get. Just saying "jazz" doesn't mean much--I mean, is it Stanley or Jaco or Patitucci or Vic or Monk Montgomery or Steve Swallow, just for starters? Anyway, once you have a sound in mind, *then* go out and try every bass you can get your hands on and ask for as many recommendations as you can.

I'm in no way knocking Fodera, who makes a terrific bass. It's just that with all the great makers out there now, this is a great time to be a buyer of a custom bass, and why limit your options needlessly when you're not even quite sure your preferred option is the right one?

You might also check out FBB, Jack Read, Hanewinckel, Sadowsky, Stambaugh, Norstrand, Benavente, DP Custom, Bee Basses, Darrin Huff, Jon Shuker, Sei, Overwater, Elrick, F Bass, Ken Smith, Matt Pulcinella, MTD, Roscoe, Sukop, Yancey, and a buncha others that slip my mind at the moment....

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, in his profile he says he already has and f bass and an mtd so im sure he has an idea of what he likes. and i wouldnt dp custom in that list:D

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Fair enough, narud, but it still seems odd to be so definite about wanting a Fodera without being familiar with the sound. Before getting married, wouldn't you want to date around a little?;)

And hey, DPs work for some folks too.:D

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You could try calling the shop and discussing this with Vinnie and Joey if you are serious about this...

Of course I just nag Brian Barrett to do this *for* me ;)

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  8. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    "OUCH"!! You guys are brutal...
    First of all, I just wanted some opinions as to the different Fodera models and their sound characteristics.
    I'm sorry; I thought this was a discussion forum that had knowledgeable and friendly bass brothers (and sisters)
    :rolleyes: ;)

First of all, I left it vague for several reasons, one being... honest opinions -YOUR opinions of whatever "Fodera" you own or have played. I am in the beginning stages of Maalox relief

Second, ok I have an ego, money and am pretentious :eek: :D ...well, actually, I have read a lot of positive feedback here on Fodera's playability and sound.

Third, I have always liked the way they look.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Shinster -
    I dunno what to tell you as far as people being brutal. For some reason if you want to talk about Fodera's around here you become a target. :rolleyes:

I've owned three Fodera's and am getting at least one more.

For a jazz sound I really like my alder/ebony Imperial that is tuned E-C. it's a very cool sounding, playing and looking bass. It's the only one I know I will never sell.

My emperor was an ash/kingwood combo with aero dual coils. Absolutely fantastic bass in all respects but just not sure the vibe was for me...it was more of a vintage tone but DANG it sounds awesome. Just not my kinda awesome. :)

So really it just depends on what you want...there are so many variables...I know I'm going to like what I am having built right now.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    :bawl:

Jared, remember what Funky said!

and more importantly, my particular fodera has a very "wooden" vibe, excellent playability. It's probably the best bass i've played for a more traditional jazzy sound. it's a emperor bolt on, alder body maple top, maple neck/fb. if there's anything else you'd specifically like to know, feel free to ask.

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes...wise words.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shinster, look into an Emporer model with a maple neck and fingerboard and an ash body. Killer all around, punchy bass sound. If you like a mellower sound than go Alder body with a rosewood fingerboard. You should get the Seymour Duncon dual coils. They can be switched to single coils for the ultimate flexability.

Don't be put off by a few people that are too uptight. I understand what they're saying but the tone could have been avoided and the statement could have been simplified by just asking for more information from you.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've had 4 Foderas. The only one I still have is a Vic Wooten Classic 4. It has the most punch and attack out of all the Foderas I've owned. It has EMG's in it. I'm not a jazz guy, more rock/blues etc. I prefer a punchier sound. I also owned a NYC jazz(not impressed), an Emperor 5 neck through and a set neck Emperor 5(deluxe). I found the playability on the 5's outstanding. Both were too heavy for my liking but were beautifully built. They both had Seymore D's in them. The set neck had single coils which I didn't care for(noise). I found more both basses to lack the punch I like. They had more of a compresses tone when A/B'd through an amp playing with a drummer. Again, great basses, just didn't quite suit me. My VW is great. Light, easy to play, good for all the types of gigs I play.

I don't know what to tell you other than go and try some out. Bassalone in San Diego has a few and basscentral in Fla usually have a couple. Overall, wonderfully made, great tone, but very expensive.

Best of luck

Rob

14. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Thanks for the replies so far, and I am not offended by what anyone said, I totally understand where your coming from and appreciate the honesty...cool.:)

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Shinster do you have any ideas of what you are looking for wood combo wise?

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    and not to debate the meaning of "punch" - but I find the EMG loaded Fodera's to be more what I would call "open" and "aggressive" rather than punchy. To me a darker, more barky tone is punchy, and the SD Foderas have more of that sound.

Does that follow or contradict what you're talking about bikeplate?

17. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Jared -looking possibly at alder bod., maple top.. maple neck..
    My F-bass has a maple neck and I find it is a much punchier, brighter sounding bass than my mtd (eclipse)which has a wenge neck/ash body, I really like my F-bass and hope to have a long lasting relationship with it, but it is still NOT totally the sound I am after and doesn't provoke that ear to ear smile while I'm playing it.
    I have done a search on this forum on Fodera's and have read many of your comments as an owner of several.
    I would love to play a few to get a sense if they work for me vibe wise, but hard to do because they are not readily available.
    thanks for your reply.

-plus, I can't see throwing down that kind of cash sight unseen with no playing experience on them, as others have said, that would be absurd., well wait a minute, I did that with my F-bass and took a chance. Turns out it is a great bass and am still happy with it! (pssst. Adrian, again thanks!)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The punchiest Fodera I've played so far was an older Monarch with EMGs... surprised the heck out of me. Unfortunately I only vaguely recall the wood combination.

I can dial in punch on my Contrabass but set flat it's more of a full-bodied hifi sound vs. garden variety punchy. Excellent slap tone IMO, it's an Ash body with quilted Maple top, Maple neck, Ebony board. Lane Poors and HAZ preamp.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Maybe I should have said "thud" or "pop"? The sound you "feel" when in a band situation, not solo. Some basses tend to wash out when in a room with a drummer. They may have sounded great solo, but lose their character amongst the band. I hope that explained what I meant to say.
    It's just what I experienced. I guess alot depends on your amp, drummer, and most importantly the players ears!!:)

Rob

20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i still think we need more info here. what do you mean by best sound for jazz? who's someone you think has great tone? what's your idea of a great slap sound? marcus on a heavy ash jazz? louis johnson on an ash p bass? larry graham on 60's jazz? 3 different people might name each of those guys as having the ideal slap sound and all sound very different.

what is it about your f bass that doesnt give the ear to ear smile?

if you want to hear some samples join the yahoo fodera group. scott(peter parker here on tb) posted clips of an alder/kingwood/aero duals 5 string emperor and an ash/ebony/barts 5 string emperor. i posted clips of my bass(alder/ebony/duncan duals) with all of the coil settings.