Which Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, May 23, 2004.

1. Hey. I have been looking for a fretless for a couple months. The maximum i can spend is $600. So far I have narrowed my choices down to Ibanez GWB 35 Gary Willis Sig, Warwick Rockbass 5 string Fretless, and MTD kingston 5. I would like the bass to have 5 or 6 strings, but 4 is ok if the situation is good enough. I play funk, jazz, and rock. If you have any suggestions or comments on these bass post them. I haven't found many reviews on the Gary Willis sig, but I have heard great comments about the Rockbass and Kingston.

2. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi John,
    I hope all is well. I can't tell you about the Willis 35 but the GWB1 is great. I got one about a month ago and it sounds and feels wonderfully. It has a bright sound, and does not have a hug tonal veriety but what it does it does well. I don't really know how different the GWB1 is from the cheeper line but I am sure you can find out on the idanez web site. Hope that helps peace.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My buddy has a Cort Curbow fretless 5 that plays and sounds great!

The Kingstons are nice basses. I've not tried the others
  4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Do you prefer new or used? Many more choices in the used arena. I prefer to buy new basses, so I ended up with a Lakland Skyline 44-01 (4 string) fretless, about $650. I used roundwounds on it. It has a variety of useable tones and pretty nice "mwah."