Which Fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Charling, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm looking to buy my first fretless come christmas time, i love the feel of a fretless and its the natural progression for my style of bass playing.

Thing is, I don't know much about them, ive only had to ever deal with the qualities of fretted basses. I will have about £1000 to spend but I could stretch it to, like, £1400. anyone have any suggestions?!?

Bassist wise I'm into the playing of Gary Willis, JP for tone and Tom Jenkinson, I've looked into Fender Jazz's and GW's ibanez sig bass, but I know theres a plethora of others out there, im always attracted by the wierd/unorthadox. any sugesstions would be great!

2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Perhaps a Pedulla Pentabuzz. It is odd looking but the tone is fantastic, and the B string sounds incredibly clear.
  3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I suggest you to try a Zon (Sonus or Custom)
    One of the most amazing fretless out there.

They sound terrific.
  4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Try Warwick. Better yet, try F Bass
    I just sold my Thumb n/t fretless 5. Freakin' amazing fretless.
    If it was so great then why did I sell it you ask??
    Well, to buy an even more amazing fretless F Bass BNF 5!!
  5. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    upright. you want an upright.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wrong board! *Thwap*
  7. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    i know, i know. but i am seriously GASing over an EUB of late
  8. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    My Warwick Corvette F/L really does the trick for me. It has a pretty wide range of tones available and the price is downright reasonable. There might even be enough left over to buy a very wide strap (which you will want with any exotic-wood bass).
  9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    The F bass BNF5 is the way to go it seems... :)
    Of course you could always save up for these beauties
    - <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121606&highlight=leduc">Leduc Ubass</a>
    - <a href="http://www.le-fay.com">Le Fay</a>
    - <a href="http://www.alfonsoiturra.com/home.htm">Alfonso Iturra</a>
    - <a href="http://www.pagelli.com/e/2instrum/bass_git_fr.html">Pagelli</a> golden fretless bass (thx JMX!)

or Snakeablilty bass
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another Zon recommendation. If you can get your hands on one, they are awesome. Best fretless I have ever played!
  11. F Bass rocks, but the price is not between £1000 to £1400!
  12. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yes the F-bass is great, but what about some love for the Pedulla?
  13. I'm a fan of the Fender Jazz fretless, it's just a very warm and growly fretless that plays to my liking. But since you want something more exotic, I've heard a lot of good things about Pedulla and Zon fretlesses.
  14. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I just purchased a Pedulla Pentabuzz (5-string fretless) and it's INCREDIBLE!! Best fretless I've ever played. But you should get your hands on everything you can at the stores and decide which one suits your style/price range the best. Good luck!
  15. I Think You Need one of these...hehe..!!!!

If you want a more Trad Fretless again Shukers and GB's are the way forward..!!!
  16. Zen, what is that bass? It's beautiful!
  17. Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

Man, those pagelli basses are AMAZING! I've got to start buying lottery tickets..

I'm looking into pedulla and Zon, I've always liked Zon basses but never even considered I could afford one. My main bass is a Warwick at the moment, and although I love it I don't want to 'settle down' with a company so early on in my bass career, because this will only be my third bass and I'm know there are other makes out there which will blow my mind!

I had thought about an UEB csholtmeier, but I think I'll get used to a fretless first! maybe bass number 4...

Thanks again for the help, i'll let you know what I get! :bassist: