Which Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theroan, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Warwick Thumb BO 5

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Godin A5

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. I know I want to get a fretless in the near future, but there are 2 I'm drawn to. The first being a Warwick Thumb BO fretless (in my price range) or a Godin A5. I like the vocal sounding quality of the Warwick but the A5 has a very upright sound?

What should I do and why?

2. Figure out which sound will best serve your purpose, because these two are pretty much at opposite ends of the fretless spectrum(Warwick: mwah/growl, Godin: Thump/thud/uprightesque)w/a lot of space between. IMO/IME. :)

Edit: I voted Godin; I actually prefer the growly, zingy mwah sound for fretless but I've played both & the Godin has this sweet reverb going on where the Warwick I had was unimpressive, tone-wise. Just not a lot there.

3. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Which one of those two sounds do you like better? I think you could probably get a similar sound from the Warwick that you get on the Godin, by using some of those black flatwound strings. Perhaps you could get more of a singing tone with the Godin, some fresh roundwounds and good setup. Be aware of neck dive with either of those two basses, the Godin in particular, if either of them has it. I believe a Fender Jazz fretless in terms of resonance and sound is somewhere in the middle of these two, and it might be worth checking out.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It depends on what sound you are looking for... If you want an electric that happens to be fretless, the Warwick is a better choice. If you are wanting something resembling an acoustic fretless (notice I didn't say upright or double bass) the Goding is a better choice.

5. Hmmm, I was think I like smoothness, not percussive.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021