Which Funk Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by grooveguru, Mar 27, 2002.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Which funk players gets your blood pumping and your booty humping and why. I'm sure there are alot of forgotten players that absolutely kill. Include some tasty cuts for the rest of us to pick up on. Please no dissing anyone's posts.
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    OK, here's some of da Funk-
    Rocco Prestia- Rocco has played a small club here in LA a few times, and he is a virtuoso- He is so
    in the freakin' pocket!! If my metronome wasn't groovin' with him, I would throw it away!

Louis Johnson - Yeah!

Chuck Rainey- Everyone owes him

Larry Graham- came up with a lot of good stuff

Wilton Felder-
    Willie Weeks
    Marcus Miller
    more...more... more...
    But- the one/only original best of the best of the best:

3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Paul Jackson-
    Any Herbie/Headhunters' album will do(Thrust, Man-Child, Survival Of The Fittest, etc).

"Barbary Coast" from Black Market.

Verdine White-
    EW&F's first few albums.

Bootsy Collins-
    The James Brown stuff + his playing on Fred Wesley's A Blow For me, A Toot For You & Say Blow By Blow Backwards.

Rainey is 'my man'!
    Check him out on Aretha Franklin's Young, Gifted, & Black...killer version of "The Long & Winding Road".
    Steely Dan's The Royal Scam has some CLASSIC Rainey..."The Fez", "Green Earrings", "Kid Charlemagne" as does the entire Aja album.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dig bobby watson's playing with rufus and still really did his playing on michael jackson's rock with you
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nathaniel Phillips from Pleasure - OooWee!
    Nathan Watts with Stevie - 'Nuff said!
    Marshall with the Ohio Players
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My favorites are definitely Rocco, Jaco (though for funk less than Rocco) and whoever Stevie took with in the 70s...Watts? Daaang!
  7. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bernard Edwards (Can he count as "funk"?)

Michael Henderson (At his best on Miles Davis' 'Agharta')

I've just got a 2CD "best off" Jimmy Smith. Two funky tracks on it: 'Root Down (And Get It)' with Wilton Felder on bass - some real "flatwound funk"!; and 'Give Up The Booty' with Abe Laboriel on bass. I hadn't heard anything by these two guys before. Very cool basslines.

Stevie Wonder's left hand!

I've listened to Verdine White's playing all my life (my Dad is big on EWF).

Did Carol Kaye play on the 'Saturday Night Fever' soundtrack? There's some good parts on there. Again, I'm not sure that that counts as "funk".

And all the others,
    Paul Jackson, Bootsy, Larry Graham, etc...
  8. Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, Rocco Prestia, James Jamerson, and George Porter, Jr. (highly underrated!)
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Not sure if any of you remember Mother's Finest from the 70s or not, but they had a solid funk bassist in some guy who called himself "Wizzard" (sic).

If you can get your hands on "Another Mother Further", you'll see what I mean.
  10. Rocco is the man he's the only one that surpass's inspiration and sometimes just makes me wanna quit. I have never been able to cover any of his stuff to any degree of satisfaction.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Rocco Prestia

James Jamerson

Louis Johnson

Scott Ambush

just to name a few
  12. Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    Bernard is the man; I whish he hadn't died in the ninetees. :(
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Anybody remember Allan Gorrie? He was with Average White Band. Listening to him turned me on to funk bass back in the '70's. (WOW! Am I old or what?!) OK, get out your best of AWB disc and que up a track called "Person To Person". No funkier groove has ever been played IMO! Gorrie and drummer Steve Ferrone were one of the greasiest rhythm sections ever! Others:

Larry Graham
    Verdine White
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    James Jamerson
    Rocco Prestia
    Nathan Watts
    George Porter, Jr.

Incidentally, I applied for a job bartending at a brewpub that Zigaboo plays at once a month. Wish me luck. Lots of luck.
  15. Let's not forget latter-day Pino Palladino. I don't know how a guy who used to be Mr. Corporate Pop Fretless could suddenly become the next Bootsy, but damn!
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Probably 'cause Pino was 'the next Bootsy' prior to becoming Mr. Corporate Pop Fretless.
    I know in the '80s, Pino was already doing a pretty serious Funk/R&B thang with Paul Young & Go West.
    What "Corpoprate Pop" are you talking about?

BTW, PP does a great jpb on "For Once In My Life"(from the Jamerson book/cds Standing In The Shadows Of Motown).
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Gorrie a lot, too(& Hamish!). ;)

I really like the way he played "If I Ever Lose This Heaven"(you can tell he listened to Jamerson's take on that tune).
    ...he also plays some nice stuff on the 'under-rated(IMO)Warmer Communications album(I love that Reggae-Funk vibe of the title track).
    How 'bout the Funk of "Love Your Life" from Soul Searching? On stage, both Gorrie & Stuart strapped on basses...
  18. Don Henley. Oh, man, I can't imagine wanting to play that tripe--not without being generously compensated, anyway.
  19. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    two words: