1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which fuzz for beasties

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bentfork, Apr 21, 2009.

1. What fuzz box did they use or will work for the bass sound in the beastie boys song sabotage?

2. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think it was some kind of a Boss Fuzz.

3. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    Pretty sure it's a Univox Superfuzz

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yes and no. Black Cat effects claims their Superfuzz clone was the actual pedal used.

The cheapest way to get that Superfuzz tone is probably a Guyatone TZ-2. Great little pedal.

5. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    I read an interview somewhere where he said what he always uses but can't find it now.
    I'll try and hunt it down. Actually I read that blackcat description as Yauch using a superfuzz.

Here's interview it's actually about gratitude though.

"The bass line was something that I had made up early on as I was learning to play the bass, maybe around 1980. I think it grew out of a pedal that I'd acquired called a "Super Fuzz," and the tone of the box begged the line.

In late '87, in the aftermath of Licensed to Ill, we [Beastie Boys] decided to take a little break. I bought a Fostex reel-to-reel 8-track and started writing songs with a friend named Tom Cushman. Tom reminded me about the old bass line. I found the Super Fuzz, and we wrote a song around it. The song was called "Gratitude." That version was over an 808 drum machine and had me singing on it..."

6. its a superfuzz (blue and orange)

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Superfuzz. Best bang/buck ratio around is the Guyatone TZ-2.

8. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, I think the name "Super Fuzz" confused me. Boss has a bunch of "Super" pedals and a "Hyper Fuzz."

9. This is a song I play in my band - I get a real close tone using a Bad Monkey.

10. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    I use a Russian Big Muff and it kills for the sabotage sound. I think the Russian is a little darker than the American version and sounds warmer on bass, plus it isn't that expensive new and there are plenty of used ones available for cheap.

11. I was pretty sure I remember reading that it was an actual old-school Univox Super Fuzz, not a clone.

Regardless, I was (surprisingly) able to cop this tone pretty well in band rehearsal using a Devi Ever Bit after some tweaking around with the control knob.

12. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    :confused:

13. Maybe it's a bassline that changes sound depending on who listens to it Grygrx? That would be an achievement

14. I can't speak to the other two. The SuperFuzz is a pretty harsh, biting fuzz, and I'm not sure how a tubescreamer clone or a Muff could sound like it. At least my comment included a "harsh, biting fuzz" ;)

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I stand corrected. But the text on the Black Cat site is a bit misleading. Maybe not deliberately, but it could be a lot clearer.

But yeah, definitely a Superfuzz sound. But again, rather than spend a bunch on an original (or even more for a Shin-ei) I still say the Guyatone is fantastic for the price and will nail that tone.

That was my thought too. The SuperFuzz is a harsh, biting fuzz box, but it also has that octave up which helps give it its distinct tone. I think the Muff and the Superfuzz are about as far apart as traditional sounding fuzz boxes could be.

16. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    For sure.

17. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    while were on the subject of the beasties... what did they use for the bass tone on shake your rump?

18. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The main line sounds clearly like a Moog synth to me.

The part that is clearly a bass guitar two minute or so in (which may or may or may not be sampled) sounds like a jazz bass with flats being slapped into a tube amp. But knowing the Dust Brothers, I'd wouldn't be surprised if something was added in post.