Which FX to use in the following songs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flea2010, May 19, 2003.

1. Hi,

I bought a Roland GT-6B and now want to use some effects. Because I'm very new to this topic, I want you to give me some advice, which effects to use in the following songs we play:

Scorpions: Rock you like a hurricane
    Bryan Adams: Run to you
    Phil Collins: Easy Lover
    Toto: Hold the line
    Mother´s Finest: Baby Love
    Doobie Brothers: Long train running
    Michael Jackson: Beat It
    Deep Purple: Smoke on the water
    Bon Jovi: Living on a prayer
    Europe: Final Countdown
    Chris de Burgh: High on emotion
    Anastacia: Outta Love
    Roxette: The Look
    Lenny Kravitz: Always on the run
    Liquido: Narcotic
    Skunk Anansie: Hedonism
    Anouk: Nobody´s Wife
    AC/DC: Highway to hell
    Melissa Etheridge: Like the way I do

Thank you,
  2. Most of those song don't require FX.

However the GT-6B might be good for
    storing different EQ curves.
  3. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Easy Lover might use a little chorus. (Was that a Nathan East type sound?) Toto could too.

All could use some compression and a good EQ balance.

Beat it - compression and a noise gate for crisp silence in between notes.
    .(Looking at the list again...)
    Most of those songs aren't played with effected bass. You can get by with solid compression, a good tube amp simulator for warmth, and some good EQ. Perhaps you could use a fretless simulator for the melissa Etheridge tune - but I'm not familiar with it. I just know she often records with a fretless.
  4. --sorry, it had to be said--
    how about the effect where you dont play most of those horrible songs (Final Countdown?)
    - I apologize for being so nasty
    write some new songs-you're good enough!
  5. let's say it that way:

play the songs the audience likes
    have a lot of gigs
    earn money to record your own songs
    play between the known songs your own stuff -> the audience will like them too

by the way: I don't like final countdown either ;-)

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Only in Germany...
  7. what do you mean by that?

my last post? the set-list?
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just referring to the Germans' infamously (at least in the UK) bad taste in pop music. I can't imagine anyone daring to play Scorpions or Europe songs in the UK nowadays, let alone playing those songs for the benefit of the audience even though the band members don't like them!

(This is by no means an attack on your personal taste in music, and yes, the UK pop scene is awful too)

P.S. David Hasselhoff
  9. these last several posts, mine included, are given in the spirit of friendship. We know you are capable of playing your own songs ,or at least songs that gve u some movement to explore. Yuo are a musician, take a chance and you never know, maybe you will learn that people will appreciate your stuff. Maybe you are better then you think?!?!?
  10. well, at least we produced two cd's, our single was played by the local radio stations and a lot of people bought the cd.

BUT: the production of our last cd was over 5,000 EUR, how much gig's do you have to play to earn this money?
    and (at least in germany) it's not possible to play 2-6 gigs per month without covers.

and that's really what I want to do: play live, have a great audience, dancing and singing, having fun, giving you a really good time on the stage, etc.
    who cares if some of the songs are horrible, ahundredthousandtimesplayed shouldhavebeenleftintheeighties-songs?
    well, not me :)

have fun,
    flea2010 :cool: